Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Last hose question

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Brewster_440 
#1 ·
97 vulcan 800 .Ok ive got all the hoses or lack there of figured out capped and or reattached due to shoddy epa removal, ive got one last one to figure out what he had going on with it. Just behind the carb and to the left coming out of the engine is a 4 inch or so hose that the fella has a screw plugging with a zip tie to seal it. I read somewhere on here that there was one line you didnt want to plug a breather of some sort i believe (not the carb vent). Im working on my photo bucket to add pics, but in the mean time if anyone had a chance to quick look at there bike and see where it goes it would be greatly appreciate. Its about level with the choke cable and carb vent but on the left of them coming out of the motor and not to thick of a hose. Thanks alot

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
yep, that's your crank case breather. unplug that now. should never be just capped off - all the pressure inside the engine is released through that vent.
it used to go to the back of the air cleaner backing plate and the engine sucked in the air pressure generated from the piston's downward travel. in 1972 cars started with the PVC valve, pulled crankcase pressure into the base of the carburetor. understand yours is gone? former owner removed the epa stuff? that's common with these bikes.

look up Grampsize and Scooterize for an 800 vulcan.
see if you can determine if your former owner did it right.
done incorrectly the bike will run like crap.

done correctly the bike goes from about 55HP to about 80HP.
I'm an old HotRod/DragRace guy.
I did a combination of the Gramp/Scooter deal and my bike runs awesome.
43mpg, open exhaust, K&N air filter, larger jets and needle in the carb.
bike gets up and goes and will easily hit the rev limiter in every gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.