Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Plugs

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  Old1Eye 
#1 ·
Hay guys.
Recently rebuilt my carbs and discuss the Fog Mod to my airbox.
Put pilots to 2.5 turns out and seems to run great.

Pulled the plugs and think they look a little lean.
What do you think?

If I remember the mains were 102.
Right?

What do you guys reckon?

Up the mains a bit?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Odin:They look on the edge of lean to me. Any surging?

#10 ·
I haven't changed anything since I took those pics of the plugs. But the weather has dropped 10'C to now 0'C and the bike has been running a little chap. Stalls on idle and runs poo at low revs. Took plugs out and the are black and sooty?! Strange. I have set the pilot jet at 2 turns out instead of 2.5 now do let's see.

Can the weather cause this?

#11 ·
Temp/barimetric pressure/load all effect an engine, carbed are more sensitive.

The sooty plugs are new installs? the correct type and range

You may have to go through the carb(s) one more time if you are going from lean to rich with no other changes.

#12 ·
pilot jets don't turn, I think you mean the pilot mixture screw

#13 ·
Plugs are new and correct type. I have been cruising lots at low roms and it has recently been acting up. I tried turning in the pilot mixture screws half a turn to 2 turns out, but today at low rpms it started to splutter and cut out.
Now it won't fire up. Fuel in float bowels, plugs dry and sparking on engine case when tested.
But won't start.

#14 ·
turn the pilot mixture screw back to what it was before, and try it again, but when turning the mixture screw, turn it clock-wise all the way in until seated then back it out counter-clock wise 2.5 turns and try it again

#16 · (Edited)
Ok thanks everyone
. Have found out what the problem is now, as the temp has been around 2'C and then hit -2'C yestarday, the carbs have been ICING. Hence the running rich and cutting out yestarday.

As it hasn't been warm enough the ice has stopped it from starting.

I warmed up the carbs with hot damp rags and it started.

Seeing as these bikes don't have carb heaters I am going to try and build some.

Will let you know what happens.

#17 ·
I saw somewhere where a guy had taken a couple 2" 25W halogen projector bulbs (the kind you might see on a track light system) and knocked the front flat glass out of them and then put what was left over the fuel bowl. Can't remember how it was turned on & off but that might be a bit much once everything was warmed up and certainly over the winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.