Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Clutch engages but, clutch lever is tight and not working...

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  bharris42 
#1 ·
I had to re-seal my front cam plug, and after doing so I bought a Barnett clutch spring to replace the old one because I was getting some slippage on hard acceleration! So I get it all the way back together, get it started and all of a sudden my clutch lever is super tight and non active, but I can still use the foot peg to put the bike into first and neutral, but the lever is like dead, please help...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 ·
Just an update, I am having a time...so I cracked the side cover to make sure I assembled the clutch correctly, and found a mistake I made! I slipped the last pin in after I put the last cover over the clutch spring. So I decided to take a look at my steels and friction plates, and the friction plates seems to be ok, but the steels were a bluish purple color! Could that be the reason my clutch lever won't respond? I took the time to remove the basket and all the friction plates from the steels because some were sticking because my bike has been sitting for a couple months now! So I put it all back together the correct way, rebled my hydraulic clutch, and still the same result! It starts fine, goes into first gear and neutral but no other gear and I still have no functionality of the hydraulic clutch lever, and there seems to be a little smoke coming from the front of the clutch cover side! I am completely lost right now! Has ANYBODY ever experienced this? I love this bike, but I'm so frustrated with it right now, I'm thinking about getting rid of it...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#4 ·
Only getting into first and neutral is normal, that's the positive neutral finder doing its thing. You won't get into second until the bike is moving. When you say no functionality of the clutch lever, do you mean it won't move, or that it moves but the clutch doesn't work? I would expect it to be stiffer with the Barnett spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.