Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Ignition switch broken, 5 wire.

97K views 129 replies 17 participants last post by  CRU 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan en500/ While doing some detailing I broke the ignition switch. I need the bike to run to get it moved to a friend's garage. Can anyone tell me the wiring diagram? I have blue, white, grey, red and brown.
Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
I have a 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan en500/ While doing some detailing i broke the ignition switch. I need the bike to run to get it moved to a friends garage. Can anyone tell me the wire diagram. I have blue, white, grey, red and brown. Thanks.
If it follows the rest of Kawi's line-up, (and it probably does):

Brown=Ignition
White= Battery
Gray=Ignition
Blue=Taillamp 1
Red=Taillamp 2

Brown is for things that need to be energized, like the radiator fan, etc.
Gray is for the ignition/ignitors themselves.
Connecting white, brown and gray should get you going. Add blue for lights.

Red, together with white is for parking lights.

#26 ·
If it follows the rest of Kawi's line-up, (and it probably does):

Brown=Ignition
White= Battery
Gray=Ignition
Blue=Taillamp 1
Red=Taillamp 2

Brown is for things that need to be energized, like the radiator fan, etc.
Gray is for the ignition/ignitors themselves.
Connecting white, brown and gray should get you going. Add blue for lights.

Red, together with white is for parking lights.
What if connecting those wires those three wires together doesn't get it going I was not

#3 ·
Thank you for the info Paco. Let me go back out and try. Ok did that. It seems to work like you said. Brown, white and grey. Tie Blue and red for tail light. But still not starting. It ran when the switch was on but i didnt ride it because of expired tags. When i went to move it found rear brake locked up and when got loose is when i dropped the bike and broke key switch. Am wondering now if i shorted something in the mean time to try to start. guess i need to pull tank and see if getting any fire to plugs.

#9 ·
I already tried that combo. Yes it turns over. The console light, headlight and front signals come on with Grey, Brown and white. Also when the bike is in neutral the neutral light comes on. I do not think i am getting any spark. Will have to check tomm when i get home from work. Riding the bus again. :(

#21 ·
Get a 100 ohm 1/2 watt resistor, lift the grey wire from the twist, solder one end of resistor to grey wire, twist other end of resistor together with white and brown. I will not explain what is going on here for obvious reasons.

Post back with your results.

#29 ·
Hey I'm having the same thing with my 2002 kawasaki Vulcan 800 B I put the red and blue wire connecting it to the battery it turns over but no spark I lost my keys and don't have 135 bucks to spend for a new one and not really understanding what yiu mean on this post anyway you can explain

#23 ·
Thank you to all that helped. I am about to make my first official ride on my Vulcan in the Keys at night. It is star filled night and cool for here. The perfect weather. SFAIR> Special thanks to you. You are the man.
Will be posting pics of the bike and the rebuild soon to come. It is all because of you. :)

#52 ·
Hello 1 question i am rewiring my key switch & i have 6 post & you are showing 5 wires i a bit confused .I bought this Kawasaki 1600 mean streak that the wiring harness had melted most of the wires including the wires in the key housing that i could not tell what wire went where .So i bought a new wiring harness and i can only see this photo that shows 4 wire but not sure where the brown wire goes to .thank u for the help .

#38 ·
Ok I have a similar problem on my 1998 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 so I thought I lost the key A buddy of mine drilled out the back of the ignition switch and then a day later we found the key in the yard ignition switch still turns on the brake light tail light headlight will not come on unless if I use like a jump wire from a hot wire and touch power to the headlight and remove it and you'll stay on and work properly problem is I'm not getting fired to my plugs could that have a possibility of why I'm not getting fired from drilling the back of the ignition switch

#40 ·
Is there away to send you a video of what's going on that's when I hit the start button it clicks at the fuel pump and at the fuse box and like I said I have to use a jump wire to kick my headlight on when I turn the key on but the tail light and the speedometer light ignition light all comes on but the headlight won't until I jump it and then I take the jump wire off and it still works but I'm not getting no spark to my plugs would that have to do with the ignition being drilled out where anything can turn the ignition

#41 ·
Headlight should not come on until start button is pressed. Then relay in relay panel pulls in. Drilling out the switch may have damaged the contacts. If you do not have the 6vdc on the gray wire going to the igniter, you will not have spark to the plugs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.