1996 1500c Oil Leak!! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

1996 1500c Oil Leak!!

I just purchased 1996 Vulcan 1500C with 10,600 miles a week ago. I drove it straight home (17miles) and parked it till I purchased my plate. About 2 hrs after getting home, I observed a few small oil spots under the bike on the ground. A few days later, I got my plate and began to ride. About 8-10 miles from my house, I noticed there was a lot of oil on the right side of the engine, as well as all over my right boot. I drove back home immediatly, called a dealer and took it there. The dealer said it was a leak from the front cylinder valve cover gasket and would charge $1200.00 for the repair, due to the engine needs to be removed to do this. I have a little above basic mechanic skills and can't even imagine paying out this kind of cash for this repair. According to the timeline above, Im not so sure if thier correct. If this is the case, should I be able to do this repair myself without removing the engine? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 09:30 AM

I would contact the person you bought the bike from and see if you can get your money back!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 11:26 AM

I just got the same news - 12 hrs worth of work at $85 per for my 2000 VN1500. I was planning replace the gasket myself until I looked it up in the manual. The engine does have to be pulled to replace the gasket.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Oil leak

I have left 3 messages for the seller and received on answer back. It clearly say's to me that he knew about this leak. During my testing of the bike, I found no problem at all.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsailor View Post
I just got the same news - 12 hrs worth of work at $85 per for my 2000 VN1500. I was planning replace the gasket myself until I looked it up in the manual. The engine does have to be pulled to replace the gasket.
Is yours the front or rear cylinder gasket?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUBUKU View Post
Is yours the front or rear cylinder gasket?
It's the rear cylinder. I can't tell where though. Not enough to drip on the driveway, I just get small driplets sprayed on my saddlebags and side panel.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 09:14 PM

this is NOT a big issue bro. while it's a shitty thing to find out, and then hear the dealership tell you what is involved, its not at all serious!

I have the EXACT same bike as you. and if its the rocker cover gasket on the REAR cylinder, i had the exact same problem.

Here's what you do:
First, try to tighten the bolts the secure the crome rocker cover to the head. you will have to remove the seat and gas tank to do this, not at all hard. If it's as small of a leak as you say it is, then this may stop it from leaking. But no permenatly.

Second, If that still doesnt fix the leak. then you will need to remover the rocker cover. And YES you CAN do that WITHOUT removing the engine. here's how I did it...

you need to get the bike set up and level

remove BOTH foot boards and brake/shifter assy.
remove the exhaust
You will also remove the right side frame tube, there are a total of FOUR bolts. (2) in the front by the top part of the radiator and (2) back by the rear motor mount.

Slide a jack under the motor for stability, you dont need to put the weight of the entire bike on the jack, but enough weight so the motor doesnt drop when you remove the motor mount bolts.

once you have the motor loose in there you will need to take off the left side cover, the one that covers the clutch slave cyl. 4 or 5 botls, easy as pie and there is no oil in there to leak out, so dont worry about spillage.

with that done you will drop the motor down an inch or two and TILT it out towards the right side of the bike. you may need to silde the driveshaft boot off the trans to accomplish this, but you DO NOT need to disconnect the driveshaft completly!!

once its tilted out far enough you can remove the rocker cover bolts. be sure to keep them in the correct orienation they come out of the cover, i dont remember if they are different lenghts like the clutch cover bolts are. But better to be safe than sorry.

watch out for the springs, and i think there are some kind of pads on top of those springs. If your careful when removing the cover you'll be ok. but remember them when you do so you know to look for them.

after the cover is off, its a basic gasket cleaning and sealing job. be thourough, you dont wanna do this all over again do you?

I may have missed a few things, I'm writing this at work in a quick frenzy. Someone will chime in if I forgot something.

I did this in my own garage in about a week working on it for a few hours a day, I took my sweet ass time so i didnt break anything or make things worse. I also did not have any write up to follow.

If you have any questions just ask. Don't spend the money at that dealer, 1200 is way high for this job anyways. should be half of that at most.

BTW, if its your FRONT that is leaking, then you can do that with everything the way it sits. the front is ALOT easier!!

1996 VN1500 classic-28K miles Sold and missed :'-(

2005 VN2000-12.5K miles
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 08:14 AM

Thanks motorhead. I may try to tighten the bolts to see if that takes care of my problem. If not, I called another dealer who gave me an estimate of $650.

TUBUKU,
Did you get your money back? What are your plans?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsailor View Post
Thanks motorhead. I may try to tighten the bolts to see if that takes care of my problem. If not, I called another dealer who gave me an estimate of $650.

TUBUKU,
Did you get your money back? What are your plans?
No. No response from the seller at all. Because my reciept states "as is", the seller still assured me that there was no existing problems with the bike. The bike is in beautiful condition. Custom paint, custom handlebars, Harley Screaming Eagle exhaust etc. I paid him $2200 for the bike, FAR below what he was asking. I checked with a more reputable dealership, and they are pulling the engine and replacing both valve cover gaskets and the cam plugs as well for $500. This should take care of the problem. Because other than that, the bike looks, runs and performes awesome. I will post some pics when I get the bike out of the shop.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 04:31 PM

Thats alot of work for 500 bucks, hopefully they know what they are doing. Its not a hard job and its ALOT cheaper to do it your self. hope it all works out for ya.

1996 VN1500 classic-28K miles Sold and missed :'-(

2005 VN2000-12.5K miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode