HELP - Main fuse fiasco - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
BAB

HELP - Main fuse fiasco

I just bought an 05 1500 EFI. Rode for about 12 minutes and the main 30 amp fuse blew.
Changed it out checked the battery, ground, reg/rec all good. The main blows after twelve minutes every time whether riding or idling.....it seems to blow when hitting the throttle....any ideas about this would be appreciated.....could faulty Cold Idle Solenoids cause it to short out??

Regards, BAB
Click image for larger version

Name:	MY BIKE.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	13420
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Top Contributor

Any electrical add-ons...grips, light bar, etc.?
No, the idle solenoids will not blow the main fuse.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 11:09 PM

Garage
I see some driving lights on there. Do they come on with idle (like the headlight)? or with key? If somebody replaced those 35 watt bulbs with some 55W, that could be the problem.. The 35 watters are hard to find, but the 55 watters are available everywhere..
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
BAB

Main fuse woes

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback....yes the running lights are an add on and have a separate toggle on the one light for on off. No other add ons but for the pipes. The fuse does not blow intermittently, just the same amount of time (12 to 15 minutes) so it seems more like a part failing due to possibly overheating more than a dead short.....I have got the bike in with my mechanic but he is as stumped as I am at this point. Seems also that if you hit the throttle around the twelve minute mark out goes the fuse....we wired in a 30 amp relay so as not to keep changing fuses.

The sun is shining and the road is long...
But something with me bike is wrong....
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
we wired in a 30 amp relay so as not to keep changing fuses.
Do you mean a 30 Amp Circuit Breaker?? Sounds like the Rect/Reg is failing. Someone will chime in to help check it out.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 08:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddyford View Post
Sounds like the Rect/Reg is failing. Someone will chime in to help check it out.
That gets my vote. It's one of a VERY few things except for a pinched wire that can get the main fuse.....because it doesn't have a fuse of it's own.

Regulators are tricky to test, especially when there is an intermittant problem.
I'd suggest charging the battery fully and then disconnecting the regulator completely and see what happens around the 12 minute mark.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
BAB

Yes reddyford I meant a 30 amp circuit breaker. The rec/reg was my vote but I never did disconnect it as I took the bike to my mechanic....he tells me the rec/reg is okay but I will check with him to see if he did disconnect it Rider...thanks guys.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
..he tells me the rec/reg is okay but I will check with him to see if he did disconnect it Rider...thanks guys.
Unless and until he finds something ELSE causing the problem, he can't say for sure that it is NOT the R/R.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Lifetime Premium

Main fuse issues can be maddening. I was all packed up for a trip last summer with another couple. Halfway to their house 40 miles away, the bike blew the main. I didn't know what it was at the time so we had it towed and scrapped the bike trip. I took it to a shop, they said it was my DIY driving light harness installation. They rewired it, taped it all up, sent me on my way. Three weeks later, did it again on the freeway- just like someone shut it off at 75 MPH. I swapped out the fuse and took it home. I ordered a new wiring harness with a relay and installed it. When I was hooking it up to the battery, I noticed a black spot on the seat pan right over the positive battery terminal and that the rubber cover on the battery terminal had come off. I wondered if it was arcing the battery on the seat pan at random times. I put the cover back on and taped it down with electrical tape and rode all summer with no issues whatsoever.

Not saying that's your problem but I am saying that there are few things that can blow your main fuse that don't have their own circuit protection.

04 1500 Classic
Mustang Seat
Sissy bar, luggage rack,
light bar, 2" risers,
Isogrips, Fatbar crashbars,
offset hiway pegs, tank bib,
passenger floorboards,
new brake pedal, throttle lock,
Cobra Lowboy Shotgun pipes,
Baron's Big Air relocated right side,
tombstone tail light,forkbag,
detachable hard leather bags,
alarm, power port, clock,
and a cool cupholder
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 12:06 PM

Need to ckeck rotor in alternator.Sounds like what we call a slinging short.Try disconect charging system and run it.Some warning lights will be on but it should run.Speed it up and down see if it still blows fuse.If not then have alt.pulled and checked.Hope you find it soon.I know you want to be rideing not working on it.Good luck.Have a great ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode