Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

What is involved in adding louder pipes? 06 1500

3K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  Preacher824 
#1 ·
I want a nice loud and deep sound on an 06 vulcan 1500. Do I have to add some electronics to it so it will run properly? How much do you think this will cost me?

#2 ·
If your bike is stock and you only change the pipes you don't need anything else. I have an 08 1500 FI and added a set of Vance & Hines long shots that sound perfect and look perfect for the 1500. Cost including installation was around 500.00. It runs better than it did before the change in pipes. Mine is fuel injected not sure about yours.

#5 ·
If your bike is stock and you only change the pipes you don't need anything else.
Sometimes, but not always. Opening up the exhaust changes the exhaust velocity, which makes evacuating exhaust gasses from the header pipe less efficient. These bikes are set up on the lean side from the factory to meet EPA standards and noise restrictions. They come with a quite restrictive air system, and restrictive exhaust to match. The fuel is then set accordingly to provide the maximum balance between emission control, performance, and mileage. Altering any one of those things can upset the balance, which is why I'm a big advocate of doing all three at once.

One size does not fit all, nor does one mod. There are lots of factors involved in tuning a bike, like altitude, humidity, air temp, and riding style. Changing all three allows one to find that optimum balance for your particular bike in your particular location.

If you do just remove the pipes, I'd start with a new set of plugs. After a hundred miles or so I'd pull them and look at them to see what color they are. Black usually indicates too much fuel. Ashy grey indicates too lean. A nice tan is just right. And watch the pipe heat shields for signs of yellowing or bluing, which indicates too hot, which is another symptom of being too lean.

Happy riding!

#3 ·
is your 06 1500 an FI bike?

#7 ·
Yes my 06 vulcan 1500 is fi.

So I have three different answers. Yes no and maybe. Lol.

So I spent all my money on this bike and will have to save for pipes. I guess I should buy the pipes and plan to possibly have to put it the electronics in case I need it?

If I just put pipes on and it seems to run okay is there any chance I'll damage the bike or is it just a mileage drivability issue?

#8 ·
just buy the new pipes (hope you buy em loud cause loud pipes = pretend hell's angel biker with an attitude) ok, that's me, loud pipes lover but only cause I don't have a tach and like the loud pipes to know what rpm's i am at to know when to shift gears, ok, just buy your new pipes and install and then ride for awhile like that without changing the FI computer, if all goes well, you may not need to adjust the FI computer, but ride it first before you add a new fuel processor, you might be ok without one, but remember, loud pipes helps those cars ahead of you from cutting into your lane and cutting you off, there's a blind spot on some cars and though they look in the mirror they don't see you coming but if they can hear your pipes that is good for safety

#9 ·
oh and no, it won't harm the motor, the worst that could happen is you get hesitation when accelerating thru the throttle or on deceleration the bike starts backfiring, all that is doing is unburnt mixture is exploding in the hot pipes

#13 ·
If you can't afford something like a Baron's Big air or Thunder Mfg. air kit, you can get a K&N or equivalent hi-flow air filter for about 70 bucks or so that will drop right into the existing dog bowl. I used one of these or 8 years and it worked fine.

K&N Air Filter VN1500E Vulcan 1500 Classic,VN1500G Vulcan 1500 Nomad,VN1500J/R V | eBay

You will need a fuel processor. I can't advise on those as I have a carbed bike. But here is one from Cobra

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/...fuel-processor-kawasaki-vn1500-classic-05-08/

Power Commander is another processor, more expensive but more refined with more options. Hre's a forum discussion on the pros and cons of both.

Power Commander or Cobra Fuel Processor?

Good luck!

#14 ·
Sound is subjective, but if you want more power than looks, I'd go with a 2-into-1 system. I went for looks, and have Cobra Lowboy Shotguns on mine- not cheap but not expensive, either. I like having the sound come out behind the passenger instead of underneath her. She likes it too!
Here's the Cobras. Cobra Lowboy Shotgun Exhaust at Motorcycle Superstore - Motorcycle Superstore

Vance & Hines Vance & Hines Classic Exhaust - Vulcan 1500 Classic, Mean Streak - Competition Accessories

MACs- Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic Exhaust Systems

Happy hunting!

#15 ·
If you just change the pipes you probably wont need a fuel tuner. If you change both intake and exhaust you will.

#18 ·
I just bought my first motorcycle last year and have been learning since. It is a 02 1500 classic fi. It had cobra speedster slashdown pipes on it and sounds great to me. It also had a power commander iii usb on it. From what I understand hour bike runs lean factory and leaner with addition of pipes so dynajet has a map for stock intake and a few different pipes available. I just did the baron reed valve block off plates($25) and the caddman mod($40) this winter and just got the time to remap my PC3 yesterday and rode today it really smoothed out my acceleration and is almost like riding a different bike. So I would recommend doing all three at once. At minimum do a power commander with your pipes to start but for just $65 more you can eliminate the popping while rolling off the throttle and increase intake air. I also added k&n pre filter wraps but those are optional for $40.

#26 ·
I would be cuatious of pipes that are too loud. Besides being unpopular with your neighbors, they can be really annoying on long trips. I have made 3 trips from north Idaho to San Diego and back, plus trips into Canada, the Oregon Coast, Yellowstone and Jackson Hole, etc. And even with my lowboys, sometimes th sound gets on my nerves after a full day of riding. To each his own, but if i could do it over again I'd have gotten some quieter pipes. As it is, I added some baffles to mine and wrapped them with fiberglass cloth, which toned them down a little.

#28 ·
LOVE MY DRAGSTERS !!!

Can't stay off the throttle !!!

MUSIC to MY ears !!!

Quiet enough while cruising too.

YMMV

Ride On !!!
Luckymann77
:grin2::grin2::grin2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.