Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Orange crap in left air filter

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ltklein 
#1 ·
So I'm still learning a lot about my Vulcan. I realized mine has a Caddman mod and air filter on the right side with the ICS removed. I opened up the left side and was greeted with a bunch of orange foamy junk and a very dirty air filter. Is this mold or some sort of spray on foam? It looks like some made its way into the central air passage to the right side of the bike. Is this a problem?

See less See more
#6 ·
As crazyriderguy suggests the residue looks like disintegrating air filter material. I had a somewhat similar situation with a Yamaha but fortunately none of the material got into the engine intake. The disintegrating Yamaha filter material had a very similar color to that in the pics.

#7 ·
This past summer I found the same orange foam crumbling from the air filter on my 98 1500. It was the original factory air cleaner element that just rotted out. It had made it's way to the crossover and the dog bowl on the right side...

I was in there to clean the carb and figured this contributed to the no start condition I was working on. As it happens, the carb did need a good cleaning, however none of the orange foam was evident in the carb or the intakes to the engine.

I used a combination of a shop vac and a compressor to get that out of the crossover...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.