2004 1500 tire recommendations - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

2004 1500 tire recommendations

Good morning! I'm intending to replace the front and rear tires on my 2004 Vulcan Nomad, and would appreciate any recommendations, including any insight with the Avon Cobras. Also, any help in navigating this website would be sincerely appreciated! Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:06 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
i have Michelin Commander II's, some say the rubber is hard for longer life, not sure about the grip quality on them, someone else said if you want grip go with Dunlop's

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Shell Rotella 5w40 Wix 51358 17T/40 Sprockets
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:09 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
i would prefer a long lasting tire so that I don't have to change out tires, which means convenience, but for safety I prefer grip

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Shell Rotella 5w40 Wix 51358 17T/40 Sprockets

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:52 PM
CRU

Displacement/CC's: 1600
Quote:
Originally Posted by btom View Post
i would prefer a long lasting tire so that I don't have to change out tires, which means convenience, but for safety I prefer grip
Sounds like you want dual tread compound tires. Hard in the middle, soft on the sides.

2008 Mean Streak Candy Fire Red
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered
K&N Air Filter
Dyno tuned Power Commander III
Kawi OEM Backrest
BackOFF XP Brake Light Module
Tourmaster Coaster Tool Bag
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:15 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
ya, dual compound , so is the Michelin Commander II a dual compound tire? just wondering

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:04 AM
CRU

Displacement/CC's: 1600
Nope. They are made for max longevity, not max traction. You'll find dual compound in sport tires like the Pilot Power and Battlax. Tire manufacturers assume that most cruiser riders aren't going to be carving corners and dragging parts.

2008 Mean Streak Candy Fire Red
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered
K&N Air Filter
Dyno tuned Power Commander III
Kawi OEM Backrest
BackOFF XP Brake Light Module
Tourmaster Coaster Tool Bag
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:21 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2004 VN 1500E7
Displacement/CC's: 1470
Color: green over white
I've had pretty good luck with tires. The stock Bridgestones that came on it lasted me over 13 k miles. Then I put some German Metzler 880s on it and I got just over 13k. Next, I bought another set of Metzlers, and it turned out they were made in Brazil, and I only squeezed about 9k miles out of them when I noticed a ton of cracks in the sidewalls and the center tread was almost gone. I don't know if they were old inventory or what, but is seemed rubber rot had set in. So I went back Bridgestones, and so far I have another 9k and still going. I will probably squeeze another season out of them.

I should note that I don't ride really fast, usually never over 70 or 75 MPH. I don't scrape the floorboards and I don't do drag race starts. Your mileage may vary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode