Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

'99 1500 Classic constantly blowing fuse

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Edmontonchef 
#1 ·
Hi, If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've added a Kawasaki brand light bar to my 1500 Classic. I hooked up the wiring from the signals to their original hookup. The lights went to the toggle switch to the empty accessory sleeves behind the headlamp. This is exactly how I wired up my '88 1500A, the only issue occuring was the 10A fuse blowing out. Replaced it with a 15A and problem was solved. Now, these lights have been on for probably 3 months now and last time I rode (November 8) was when this started. The 10A in the accessory slot blew once, replaced it with a 15 amp, it's been fine. The tail lamp has blown two 10A fuses and I just installed a 15A and it didn't even last 60 seconds before blowing. It seems to want to go when the bike is under a load, as in initially pulling out. I can't figure out why the tail lamp fuse is the one popping, which takes the spot lamps, front marker lamps, rear tail light, and speedometer back light. (I did replace the light in the tail with a LED bulb, but that was months ago as well) Do I need to recheck all the wiring within the added lights or could there be an issue someplace else? Thanks for your help!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Yes, sir.. and thank you for the responses.. I haven't really had time to dig into it with the holidays and all, but I am going to see if I can get some time Saturday night.
The light bar did not come with any type of fuse or relay, I just hard wired it all into existing wiring. I think the tips may be faulty, as they were kind of loose at the crimp points. I think that may be a starting point. I just thought it was kind of strange that the tail lamp fuse is blowing and not the accessory... Thanks again guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.