Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Slipping into neutral from the 1st

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  sfair 
#1 ·
Here is what happens: I start in the 1st, ride a short distance (a hundred yards maybe), need to slow down or stop, hit the brakes, and the gear slips into neutral with the green light on. I do not touch the shifter. As for the clutch, I press it somewhat but not all the way. It does not happen always, just occasionally, which makes me think that something is wrong. Does it sound familiar to anybody? It is a 2005 calssic, a 5 speed transmission.

#3 ·
1. 6,000 miles
2. I own this bike for a month, put about a thousand miles on it.
3. No grinding, shifts very smooth, there is just a sound of engagement, and it requires sort of more force to go 1-2 than 2-3, 3-4, etc.

#6 ·
- so it is obviously an internal issue.
A fouled up linkage can prevent a complete 1-2 shift (the most difficult because of the neutral finder) which can result in jumping out of gear. Make sure heel shifter (something I, personally, do not like) is not hitting.

Your bike has low mileage, so I would be SURE that is not an issue because the next possibility involves a case split which is something one does not do on a Sunday afternoon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.