Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

bike wont start

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  sfair 
#1 · (Edited)
Trying to go to work today and the 03 1500E won't start. The battery seems to be ok. The engine turns over and sounds like it's trying to start but it just won't get going. Almost like there isn't fuel getting to the engine or there isn't spark in the plugs

#2 · (Edited)
spark plugs have no spark. When I check the wires with a screwdriver held near a metal source, I get a light blue spark arcing between the two.

by the way...I replaced these spark plugs in May so I can't figure out why they would be bad already. They are black on the ends but not corroded and the gap is correct. Please help

#3 ·
When you're checking with the plugs, are you are resting the threads against a ground? You won't get a spark if you dont.

Or you can clamp a jumper cable around it and clamp it to a ground.

Then you should see the spark. Plugs are pretty low tech though you could have 1 bad one. I'm guessing you checked a different one already...

#4 ·
I ended up pulling them all out, checking them for spark, sanding down the ends to remove all the deposits, checking them again. One plug didn't have spark so I replaced it and the bike fired right up after all that. Problem is, the plugs were all replaced in May. What would cause the black deposits on the ends like that?

#5 ·
Black deposits that look sooty generally mean you're running too rich....

Black deposits that look oily suggest your burning oil...

Do a quick google search on Spark Plug Troubleshooting and click images. There will be a few dozen charts with pictures and descriptions on how to read your spark plug and usual culprits.

Here is one of them:

http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/attachments/repair-maintenance/20633d1413315389-here-one-guy-you-need-know-better-your-spark-plug-how-read-spark-plug.jpg

Let us know what you find!..

#6 ·
sometimes the spark plug caps can cause problems with no spark, I mean there's a elbow on the caps and inside is a screw inside the corner cap and if it's not seated properly into the wire that might be an area to look at also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.