Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

2000 vn1500 idle problems

3K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  ltklein 
#1 ·
Recently purchased a vulcan 1500 from a guy who had it sitting for a few years. Cleaned the gas tank, lines, And carb. It takes a few tries to get it running but it just will not idle without dying. I can see the air fuel mixture mist flowing through the carb as its running and it looks like everything is working so im thinking maybe the air/fuel screw might need adjusted? Its at 3 1/2 turns out, which is where it was before i cleaned it. I Just dont know the normal range for that really to begin to adjust it. Also if i have the choke on it will start but then die right away. Checked spark plugs, no wetness but a bit of carbon on them.

#3 ·
I just finished a 2nd round of carb cleaning myself on a 98 1500 Classic for pretty much the same reason.

Still have a misfire/stumble every 30 seconds or so...and a very long warm up before the choke comes off... so I'm still working things out.

Just FYI, the FSM for the 98 calls for the mixture screw to be 2 plus or mine 1/4 turns out.

The rejetting kit for my carb (I have V&H exhaust and no other mods) says to use 3 turns.

After I cleaned the carb the 1st time, I couldn't idle off of the choke at all. I went back in and recleared all passages and set my mixture at 2 1/4 turns (down from the 3) and things improved quite a bit.

For others to help, let us know if you have any intake or exhaust modifications.

Good luck!

#4 ·
Thanks for the input, i was thinking of doing another round of cleaning. I believe the air system is stock it has the plastic box underneath carb and connects both sides. Pipes not sure i dont see writing on them they do have baffles and are dual pipes but its still louder than you would think stock pipes would be.

#7 ·
Update. Took the carb off and cleaned meticulously this time, while doing so noticed i missed a jet screw that is sunken deep in a hole right next to the pilot screw. Its connected to the idle jets somehow. Turned it out and it was pretty dirty so cleaned it up now as well. Put it all back together and waiting til tomorrow to try it, didnt want to wake the neighborhood. Hoping it worked. Also set the mixture screw to 2 1/2 turns. Will update again tomorrow.

#12 ·
Congrats on getting your bike back in the running!

Just to close the loop on your previous post (for those who didn't click your excellent link): Yes - the pilot jet is the recessed one. The main jet is in the center directly where the needle from the diaphram comes in from the other side.

The 3rd hole brass hole is non-removable (I believe) and is the starter jet. The enrichener (choke) throws extra fuel thru there as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.