Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

98 Vulcan 1500 Won't Start

19K views 52 replies 7 participants last post by  Bandit101 
#1 ·
I purchased a new battery for my Vulcan about a year ago. As it is summer time here in Arizona, I have not been riding much, but do start the bike up once a week. I also keep a battery tender on it.

3 Weeks ago, I took it for a ride without issue. Last week, when I wanted to go for a spin, I press the starter button and here the clicking of the solenoid, but it won't turn over.

I suspect the battery, remove it, and take to Autozone for a load test. Battery tests out good static and under load.

I reinstalled battery in bike, made sure all connections are tight, and get same result. Clicking solenoid. If I put a 50A battery charger/booster on it, the clicking is louder, but still won't turn over the motor.

That leaves me to suspect the solenoid or the starter. Unless Autozone doesn't know how to test a 12Volt battery....

Looking for some guidance here. Found a similar thread, but it was suggested I should start my own. I have a digital multi-meter as well.

#2 · (Edited)
1. Clean your ground cable where it attaches to the back of motor. Make sure its tight.
2. Disconnect your battery, make sure your wires attaching to your starter solenoid are clean and tight. Don't just look at them, undo the connectors and make sure.
Reattach your ground. Make doubly sure your battery connections are tight!
Try to start , if still clicking.... Clean and tighten your cable where it attaches to the starter.
If it still clicks, its either your starter solenoid (90%), or a loose connection, either ground or the hot (+)....maybe even a corroded battery cable....
Let your battery charge up good (if your battery charger has a gauge on it, it should be on 0 charge), then with the battery charger attached, switch it over to start, then try to start the bike.
If all is well, it will start. If it still clicks, this will tell you the solenoid is bad....

#8 ·
See attached picture. Please confirm this is the starter solenoid. If so, when I do as instructed getting zero (0.001) volts

Also, the noise I'm hearing when I push start button is not coming from this pictures item which I assume is solenoid. Instead it is someplace closer to carb. Could it be an electric fuel pump?

Attachments

#9 ·
That is the starter solenoid. Could you please do the following:

1. Take voltage reading across battery.
2. Turn on key and take another reading.
3. Leave key on for 5 minutes and then take another reading.
4. Turn off key, leave for 5 minutes and then take another reading.

Post back with 4 readings.

Also check that kill switch is in run position.

#12 ·
Looks good. Next:

1. Check ignition fuse. If it is good, then
2. Locate plug on top of starter solenoid.
3. Push red meter lead down beside yellow/red wire at connector to touch pin.
4. Black lead to battery ground.
5. Key on, push start button and take reading.

Post back with reading.

#28 ·
Completing this test caused the bike to start.

I got about 9.8V as the starter cranked and the bike fired up. Once I removed the probe and shut off the bike, I was able to restart it.

Should I conclude that the black/white wire is loose and connection needs to be cleaned? Or further tests? I will continue to follow your guidance sfair.

#29 ·
OK:

1. Remove cable that goes to starter from starter solenoid.
2. Connect meter to starter solenoid yellow/red as previously done.
3. Key on, push and hold start button, wiggle and tug on junction box harness, in particular black/white wire, while watching meter for the display to jump around.

#35 ·
OK, we have some voltage drops that could be the problem where the starter solenoid does not pull.
We are going to have to track them down.

1. Leave starter disconnected for all tests.
2 Inside headlight bucket, you will see a connector with a yellow/red wire on both sides.
3. Pick a side of the connector and touch pin with red meter lead.
4. Key on, take voltage reading.
5. Push start button and take another reading.

Post back with 2 readings.

Does/has the bike ever sat outside?

#40 ·
I went through a problem a lot like this with my '97 1500. Ended up it was corrosion in the clutch switch. The corrosion kept the safety circuit from letting the starter engage. The clicking could be the fuel pump. Took the switch apart. It was designed so that you can take it apart, cleaned it up, put it back together and Vroom.

#41 ·
Thanks! I believe I will need to clean this clutch switch and someone else may have mentioned the kickstand switch?

Either way, I am going to finish the electrical troubleshooting process that Sfair has started. Once we complete the process, I am going to ask him to summarize the process and what he learned from the results of each test. I've understood what some of the tests are telling him, but not all of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.