Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Help with no spark issue

7K views 27 replies 4 participants last post by  sfair 
#1 ·
I have a 97 Vulcan that was running very rich. I took the carb out and cleaned it and reinstalled it. Now I am having a no spark issue on any spark plug. I have double checked what I took apart and cannot find anything that was done wrong or anything that I might have unplugged while working on the carb, any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Pulled and inspected all the fuses on Saturday and found that they are all good includung the main 30amp fuse. Removed the carb and recheck for anything I might have disturbed and everything looked good. Called all over Savannah Georgia and cannot locate anyone that will even take the bike in their shops because of its age. Sure hoping somebody can get me pointed in the correct direction.

#4 · (Edited)
It has 37,000 miles.
When someone rides behind me they can smell excesive fuel, and it is only getting about 50 miles to a full tank of gas.
I used an inline spark tester and there is no spark at any of the plugs.
I have owned it since 1998, bought it with less than 1,000 miles on it.

#8 ·
I did not replace any parts, thought maybe something was keeping the float needle from returning to the closed position. I removed the bowl, float and needle. and cleaned with carb cleaner then reassembled it. I made no adjustments to the carb as it is only 10 months old. The plugs are not fuel soaked, I have had the fuel shut off since I took the carb off.

#22 · (Edited)
If the bike was running, and you pulled the carb, replaced it, then it didn't run, chances you unplugged something or made a loose connection somewhere. Or possibly grounded a wire. Alot of these 1500's have a few rough welds under the tank, I've seen the FI Nomads short the fuse to the ignition as well as the FI system.
Get your test light out and start tracing and see whats dead. If its not a failed component in ign. system, you should find it fairly quick after you get to the wires. Did you take your tank off? Did you try to start it without the plug wires on the plugs?
As usual, check all your fuses first, Then check all your connectors. Then, move on down the line, taking your time. If its electrical, patience is the key

#23 ·
OK, next test:

1. Inside headlight bucket, locate connector that has a red wire on one side and red/green on the other.
2. Black meter lead to battery ground.
3. Red meter lead down beside red/green wire at connector to contact pin.
4. Key on, take reading.

#24 ·
Dragonlady58, yes I took the tank off, a couple times and it is still off. I checked every wire and connection I could get my hands on and found nothing lose or disconnected. The only wires I had to disconnect went to the ignition switch and fuel gauge, to remove the tank. The is only one connector to remove the carb, so I disconnected that also. I am still at a loss for what might be causing the no spark issue and I may end up pushing it onto my trailer and taking it to a shop if I don't find the issue soon. Thanks for your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.