Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Upgraded to Meanstreak Clutch Spring and Judge's Washers

44K views 58 replies 12 participants last post by  Iceman32sr 
#1 ·
Wow!! What a difference :)
1500 Classic -- my clutch was slipping when I got on it (in any gear). I am so pleased w/ the upgrade. I like the positive clutch action, that it has nowadays, compared to the factory style slippage. Feels a lot faster, too. It only took me about 2 hours to do the job and I followed the instructions on Gadget's page. Having the right tools really helps (air tools and motorcycle jack).The worst part was scraping off the old gasket.
Here is a pic of my old spring. You can see how worn the teeth were. They could've broken off at any moment.

See less See more
#3 ·
It was super easy.. with air tools. I had around 27,000 miles on it. The judges washers really make a huge difference and are suppose to double the life of the new spring. Im really happy with it. Even if there's no problem now, the heavier spring and washers will make a huge difference in the feel and less(almost none) slippage of the clutch.

#5 ·
I'M IN!!
Couple questions,
With the impact tools, you didn't have to jam a penny in your gears or anything to keep the clutch from spinning?
Did you use a jack or kickstand-and did you drain your oil? I will probably change my oil at the same time and use a jack, I was just curious how you did it.
Finally, where do I get the washers? Did you email "judge"? I dont use outlook so I couldnt find the email to get them.

#6 ·
No penny or anything like that. I had air tools available, but opted to use an 18v electric impact. Worked really well and I didn't have to fool with air lines. I maybe spilled two tablespoons of oil the entire time. If you leave the bike on the kickstand you should have a similar experience. I used a regular old floor jack to brace the motor during the operation. Ill PM you Judges email address.

#8 ·
ok. I am the point where I remove "the nut". I got an impact on the way, but I tried with my breaker bar, and I am spinning my driveshaft. Literally pushing my bike forward, even while holding the brakes, its still spinning? Howdid you guys hold it still, or did you all use an impact?

#9 ·
I just put in my paypal order on the EZ-ON web site for Judges Washers, I hope a Qty-1 is a set of 2 washers, and maybe Gadgets site has instructions on where the washers go, I don't have an electric impact gun yet but what size do I need? I have 45K miles on my 1500

#16 ·
I just put in my paypal order on the EZ-ON web site for Judges Washers, I hope a Qty-1 is a set of 2 washers,
Got mine in 5 days from same website (Thanks Van) yes qty 1 is 2 washers, and they are slightly different..

I don't have an electric impact gun yet but what size do I need?
1/2" drive and a 27MM socket.. FYI, a pancake compressor wont do it-you need a substantial compressor or get an electric (I have an ok compressor and it wouldnt crack it, so I had to borrow an electric)

Do I replace the kawasaki part#13280A stock washer on my 04 1500 with Judges Washer set? Another question: Do I install the Mean Streak clutch spring with Judges Washers along with Indexing Washer as in Gadgets writeup?
I didnt replace any parts when adding judges washers. The only parts I removed (and threw away) was the original clutch spring (the big black disk that you replace with the meanstreak part) and the gaskets..
Hope this all helps you degreaser!

#11 ·
Gadgets clutch spring replacement instructions says Judges Washers install requires proper operation: how so?

A caution. Kawasaki builds in clutch slip which is probably a good thing for new riders and those who don't/can't/won't downshift properly. The slip prevents the rear tire from locking up on a downshift possibly causing a mishap. Judges washers do away with this slip. Users get very positive clutch action but you have to use the clutch properly.

#15 ·
OK.. 6 hours later!!!!! The spring is in, judges washers are in, my oil is changed, the bike (and me) are clean and shiny!!!

2 words "impact driver" you can't do this without it-period. Its not that we arent strong enough, its more to do with keeping things from spinning or moving (and possibly the bike rolling iff the kickstand!) Me and my buddy (together we are packin near 700 lbs!) tried and tried-in gear, with brakes, with a penny (sarges trick), etc. struggled for 40 mins while we waited for Tom (who is only about 145 lbs) to show up with his electric impact. The nut was off in less than 10 seconds!

Secondly, I recommend having a service manual. Once I got the nut off, I was so excited I started ripping everything off. Well, you dont need to tear the clutch apart, but I learned some things! Be careful not to allow the clutch plates to slide out. Before I knew it I had 25 clutch parts on the floor! Thank the good lord I already had a service manual!

Some other handy hints. Dont freak out when all of a sudden you pull you clutch and its rock hard and wont pull at all. you've merely run the piston all the way out. When you put the outer clutch cover on (the one with the big ring holding it in place) you will use that in conjunction with the rod, to recompress the piston and all will be fine. I was really freaked out by this!
The kickstand is all you need-no boards or anything, and be prepared to lose some oil. I wish I would have drained my oil first (or at least a quart) I had oil everywhere!! A green 3m scrubby is nice for scraping off that last little bit of gasket material.

#23 ·
Thanks for the link to Judges washers, I too emailed him and never got a reply. I will be ordering these in the morning.

Next question is where & what EXACTLY did you order the clutch plates and gasket? I'm talking website and part numbers! I have a 1998 1500 Classic. I have the clymer manual but I'm still scared to death that I will order the wrong stuff and end up with it all in a pile and have to get help putting it all back together.

Anyone get Judges oil gear as well? Howdy cow I can't afford that right now - is it really a problem to just leave the stock one there?

Degreaser- You asked earlier about correctly shifting I think (it's a few pages back on the thread now) What he was saying is if you replace it you loose the slippage from stock so if you downshift and are going too fast when you let your clutch out too fast your gonna leave some rubber behind on the pavement and possibly loose control since you were not expecting it. Hopefully that's what you were asking about. Sorry if it wasn't.

#24 ·
Next question is where & what EXACTLY did you order the clutch plates and gasket? I'm talking website and part numbers! I have a 1998 1500 Classic.
I get my parts from BikeBandit in California
http://www.bikebandit.com/kawasaki-..._c=2372541x8281690x329642503&WT.mc_id=2786029

You will need a right-side cover gasket, and if you want to use the Mean Streak clutch spring, search on a 2003 Mean Streak VN1500-P2 Kawasaki clutch spring part number 92145-1449, use along with the Judges washers you are getting

#27 ·
Thanks for the help Degreaser..

What would determine if I should replace the friction plates or not? I don't mind spending a few more dollars to do it when I already have it apart but at the same time if I don't need to I can save a few bucks which always helps especially right now. If I were to replace the friction plates, I would just search for them thru Bike Bandit for the 1998 vulcan right? Do you know if a qty of 1 will actually be the 8 or so that my bike has?

On the Spring...
I need the 92145A: SPRING 872642 for $25.18

and not the 92145: SPRING 872554 for $5.60

Right? I just wanted to make total for sure. :)

While we are at it and I am trying to get an order together, What about the POG. Is there a SOG other than the Judge one which is over $300 :eek: I'm sure it's a very nice gear but if there is a OEM steel one which will get me 50k miles for $6 bucks lets go that way. Again, I figure since I will have it tore apart I might as well do it if I am going to.

Thanks again guys!

#30 ·
That Mean Streak spring along with getting Judges 2 washers from the EZ-On web link is what you will need, plus you will also need to change your POG plastic oil gear for Judges steel oil gear, if you keep the plastic you run a risk of potential oil pump failure and possible plastic bits falling into the gears, if that happens then the problem to remove them becomes worse, so if I were you I would pay whatever the cost is for the steel oil gear.

#31 ·
As for the impact driver, I used an old Black and Decker Bulldawg. Its a 7.5A with 2500Bpm (no listing for the RPM, but I don't think thats of interest)
I see one at Harbor Freight for fifty bux. Its listed at 7 Amps, 2100 RPM, 230 ft-lbs torque and 25-30 BPM (that doesnt sound right to me-but it is harbor freight) That low of a BPM may try and spin the crank and trans but Im not sure.
There is a Dewalt at home deps for 156.00 that looks real nice, but thats alot of loot to use once..
Torque is most important..

#33 · (Edited)
you can also call ronayers in north carolina, they also deal in oem kawasaki parts, if you know the kawasaki part numbers they will confirm with you on the phone what they are for, ronayers also has a web site http://www.ronayers.com/
search the ron ayers web site for the correct Kawasaki part number then call their 1-800 number, for friction plates question, I doubt you will need friction plates unless you were using 10w30 car oil with friction modifiers and coated the plates with moly and the plates are now smooth as glass, why not just order the meanstreak spring and judges washers, then with spring and washers in hand, go to work removing each part 1 by 1 inspecting them and the plates and see if the friction plates are damaged, assume they are ok but if they are damaged then call ronayers again for more needed parts, i would go by the assumption that the friction plates are fine until you have a close look at them, that way you're not buying plates you don't need, the worse is the some plates need changing and you have to wait a week or two for the parts to arrive, one thing i don't like about bikebandit web ordering site is they don't show you the actual kawasaki part number you're ordering, if you know the actual part numbers you need then calling ronayers is very easy

#35 ·
Thanks Degreaser for the extra info, I think I will do what you suggest and just start with the spring and look at the plates then take things from there. It's going to be a week or two before I can get a chance to do it so I will do more homework before I spin wrenches on it.

Pa, I have a clymer for it that I just picked up. I didn't see the friction plate thickness in there, I will look closer tonight when I get home. It does show in detail how the clutch goes together, Thanks for the suggestion and help :)

#36 ·
Techwiz, the 1500's from 1998 thru 2003 E1-E6 have the same holder part and have no indexing washer, beginning with 2004 E7 the holder part number is different and they added a new indexing washer, copying Judges washers, your bike does not have that indexing washer, the holder in the 2002 and 2003 P1 & P2 1500 Meanstreak is the same as in E1 thru E6 but the P1 & P2 has a thicker clutch spring part number 92145-1449, its this spring part many E1 thru E6 owners are installing, beginning in 2004 Meanstreak B1 went 1600 engine and has same holder, indexing washer and spring as 2004 E7, your E1 stock spring is same from E1 thru E7 but not the holder or washer

#38 ·
I went to bikebandit to order the MS spring and clutch cover gasket but their web page does not show or confirm OEM part number you want to order, so I scrapped that and called Ronayers who always sends me OEM parts in original package with OEM part numbers, but when calling ronayers, you need to provide him with the correct OEM part number, so now with the MS spring on order, I had also put in an order for Judges washers but after considering, I'm going to keep my 'indexing washer' and not use Judges washer and just install the MS spring into the indexing washer, Do anyone know if I keep the indexing washer will I still retain the slip clutch feature?

#39 ·
I'm going to keep my 'indexing washer' and not use Judges washer and just install the MS spring into the indexing washer, Do anyone know if I keep the indexing washer will I still retain the slip clutch feature?
Dude get Judges washers. The "slip" is not a good thing. I have owned 5 other bikes, and this is the first that purposefully incorporates slip into the clutch. With the washers your trans will shift smoother, bike will be faster, possibly slightly better fuel mileage, and you wont be replacing your clutch spring again in another 5k miles.

Yeah that's right, 5k miles. Some people in the past have had dealerships change the clutch spring and 5k miles later it was slipping again. The washers help to eliminate the premature wearing of the clutch spring.

Now if you are in a habit of downshifting into 1st gear at 50 mph then no, do not install judges washers. As a matter of fact stop riding your motorcycle all together.

Trust me man, you wont have any issues if you install the washers. The Judge puts that warning on there for liability reasons as it does change the clutch operation, but if you shift gears properly you will be fine.

#43 ·
Shifting is very nice! easier to get into neutral now too, clicks right in.. My mileage maybe increased 1 or 2 points not much, but I only had 7000 miles on my bike(not much slippage to start with). Acceleration is nice, puts me back in the seat if I twist it fast! Have not skidded yet on a downshift, and I always downshift. Told myself not to downshift over 2000 RPM, been pretty good about paying attention.. Treated myself to a brake overhaul to help get away from downshifting excessively. Brakes are pretty easy and 100 bucks will buy you front and rear pads, some good brake fluid, and a fluid pump (bleeder). You can do a clutch fluid change too!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.