Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Fuel Injected System Flooding?

30K views 219 replies 3 participants last post by  sfair 
#1 ·
Alright fellas I'm at my wits end here. About 2 months ago I added a Dobeck EFI unit to my 2000 Nomad 1500. It ran great for about a month, then it seemed that my gas mileage just dropped off hard. I kept running it, it's my primary means of transportation, intending to look into it later. Last week I'm headed down the road, my FI light comes and the bike dies. I get it running but the FI lights stays on and I've got to keep the throttle in just the right spot, to much it dies, to little it dies. Pulled it apart when I got home and saw that on the brown/black wire on my TPS was severed. Got that fixed and checked resistance per sfair's directions in another thread (sfair appears to be the mountain-top guru here). Everything checked out. Buttoned it up and I get the same symptoms. Won't start without choke and throttle, have to maintain the throttle position to keep it running. It was blowing black smoke and when I pulled my plugs, another sfair tip from a thread I found, all four are soaked with fuel. Sorry for the length of the post guys, I'm really hoping someone can lead me in the right direction here.

Thanks in advance,
SP

#6 ·
With Dobeck still disconnected:

1. Clean, dry and re-install plugs.
2. Pull fast idle knob. You will notice that it is easy at the start but then gets harder, then stops. Pull about 50% into harder area.
3. Do not touch throttle at any time.
4. Try and start.

Post back with results.

#7 ·
Alrighty. Cleaned the plugs and put em back. Pulled and pushed the choke around to gauge the area you were referring too. Got the choke pulled to the "sweet spot", keyed it on, hit the ignition and the bike turned over. It sputtered like it was going to fire up but didn't. Tried again and all I get is engine turn over.

#9 ·
Alright. I work deep nights and didn't see that last part until I got off work. I repeated all the steps, pulling and cleaning the plugs, replacing them and then using the choke. After trying to start it again, I pulled the plugs and yes they are once again fuel soaked.

#12 ·
Searching online and in my manual, I can only find the relay. Pulled it and followed your directions. No spray, can smell fuel but nothing coming out of the plugs. With the relay pulled, I did noticed that the bike didn't go through its little "priming" sequence when I keyed it on.

#14 ·
Is it the 15amp fuse just kind of laying alone around the battery? Just for future knowledge. Buttoned it back up and we get the same results. Pulled a plug and it's got fuel on it again. Is it odd that this would just happen out of the blue or has it possibly been a problem for a while and I just didn't notice?

#24 ·
Your plug wires fit onto a plug with the screw top off.
What I did is break apart an old plug and used the center section to plug into the wire. I then bent it around to fit the cap and plugged the tester into the cap so that contact was made to the old spark plug core.
One could use a similar sized screw to do the same thing as long as the screw was of the correct diameter as the top of the original spark plug.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.