Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1500 water loss

2K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  callieh 
#1 ·
I seem to loose water. I have to fill the coolant reservior regularly.

The bike also "seems" to run hot although the light doesn't come on (I can feel the heat between my legs - and yes, let's not go there :smile2:)

No visible signs of water spurting from somewhere, or dripping out
No water in the oil
Bike runs fine

What I did :
I flushed radiator
I checked the thermostat
Checked the water pump
Checked the fan and fan switch

Why would I loose water though ?

#5 ·
Yes, that is the reservoir on the right hand side

Filling whilst the engine is running with the correct mix, yes

The hose leading to the engine is not HARD (as in rock hard) , you can push it in with your fingers (and burn your fingers on the exhasut as a result) so I guess that would be squishy ?

#9 ·
No I guess not. I could squeeze the hose and t flattened but for sure not all the way.

The water in the radiator itself became warm so the termostat opened.

I now replaced the fuel cap as it seem as if the rubber on the inside is not flexible anymore. Rather hard in fact

#15 ·
sounds like an air lock in the system somewhere probably in the top 2" of the radiator common for a sealed system if you knew what the capacity was you could keep track of your additions it may take some time to work the air space out 50/50 anti and water would leave residue somewhere if it were leaking out water may evaporate but the antifreeze won't.

#17 ·
The radiator has a bleeder valve ontop so I will anyway bleed the system for airlock after fitting the new radiator cap. I am sort of convinced that water vaporised through the radiator cap when under pressure.

Just for info : Kawasaki South Africa qouted me $40 for a new cap, waiting time 6 weeks. I bought it aftermarket from bike spare shop (brand new, EXACT same specs) for $6.

#18 ·
When you say vaporized, you could be partially correct.
When a cooling system does not build pressure, the boiling point is lowered.
When that happens, you can sometimes get spot boiling at engine hot spots and the steam will escape at the cap to the recovery bottle. Sometimes it can be seen as bubbles in the recovery tank with the engine running.
This will result in a loss of coolant overall.

If the cap does not fix the problem, the cooling system will have to be pressure tested.

Be sure and use the Kawasaki recommended water/antifreeze mix in you system.

#19 ·
Feedback : After fitting the new cap and bleeding the system for a possible air lock, used the bike to work this morning. (65 km, mostly highway, but congested as always with many idiots in cars). Ave speed in the congested areas (bikers lane relatively open) 80 km/h, and on open sections 120 km/h. Bike felt better, not as hot as the past few days. At work, the rubber hose of the radiator leading to the engine felt MUCH harder as definitely not as squeshy as before. Will check water levels tonight.

Time will tell.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.