Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

99 drifter questions

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  TS Tinker 
#1 ·
A 1500 Drifter I am looking to possibly purchase has some cosmetic issues that for the most part I believe I can handle but I want to be sure of some other things before making an offer.

#1 A family member claims the original owner had a "Big Bore Kit" installed by the dealer on delivery. Anyone have any idea what that was, Or was uncle Fester pulling little Jimmy"s leg? I have heard the bike run and it looks and sounds like unmolested stock exhaust so I doubt it was some type of big three set but who knows.

#2 Wasn't 99 the last year of the POG, and if so is there any way to tell if it has been changed or not? By the way the bike has under 17,000 miles on it.

#3 The wind shield and luggage rack frames are black as they should be for the 99 but are rough in spots. Are they or an aftermarket equivalent still available? They are not damaged and could be refurbished but the wind shield frame in particular would be a pain to refinish.

#4 The wide handlebars and my back do not get along so how tall of a mini ape will work without new cables?

#5 if there is anything else I am open to suggestions on what to look for.

See less See more
#2 ·
Fine bikes, those Drifters.

I. Don't have an opinion on that one.
2. Drifters, to the best of my knowledge, never had the plastic gear. Go on the Vulcan Drifter Rider site and ask. I don't think you have to join to submit questions unless you want to. (Vulcan Drifter Riders - Index)
3. I'm certain a few aftermarket manufacturers make something to fit the Drifters.
4. I added pullback risers - only 3" pullback though and cables were fine. The best thing you can do for your back is a backrest.
5. Join that Drifter forum - those guys know their stuff and eager to share knowledge.

#9 ·
The VDR page must be jacked up for new members. Have tried several times to register with no luck.

First it said the name I wanted to use was already in use then it wouldn't accept a new name because the email I tried to use was already in use. Guess I won't be joining that group.

#3 ·
I think I agree with everything Redfish said. Vulcandrifterriders is a pretty darn good forum! Great members, quality expert mechanics, almost as good as Sfair! I built a bolt on pillion seat/luggage rack/back rest adapter for mine, but I think I might re-do the thing and make a backrest that bolts under the solo seat, in the molded bolt holes for the saddlebag brackets.

You can still buy aftermarket parts, but they are getting harder to find.

If you like the looks, it sounds and runs good, I'd go for it. And I'm not saying that to encourage someone else to make the same mistake....I love my bike. I don't consider it a mistake at all!

#11 ·
There are some minor differences from the transmission forward, like the cam is Drifter specific, as is the headlight bucket, but for the most part it's the same bike as the F.I. Classic. Form the transmission back the Drifter is completely unique. Matter of fact, from the transmission back, very little is the same between even the 1500 Drifter and the 800 Drifter!

#12 ·
#1 A family member claims the original owner had a "Big Bore Kit" installed by the dealer on delivery. Anyone have any idea what that was, Or was uncle Fester pulling little Jimmy"s leg? I have heard the bike run and it looks and sounds like unmolested stock exhaust so I doubt it was some type of big three set but who knows.
I'd be surprised if that were the case.

#2 Wasn't 99 the last year of the POG, and if so is there any way to tell if it has been changed or not? By the way the bike has under 17,000 miles on it.
No POG's were ever used on a Drifter.

#3 The wind shield and luggage rack frames are black as they should be for the 99 but are rough in spots. Are they or an aftermarket equivalent still available? They are not damaged and could be refurbished but the wind shield frame in particular would be a pain to refinish.
Sounds like you're going to become friendly with your local powder coater!

#4 The wide handlebars and my back do not get along so how tall of a mini ape will work without new cables?
Most people find that a new set of risers cures the problem. Scootworks makes the "Phatrisers 2" which is the most you can go without changing cables. It requires some rerouting, but stock cables will work. As for apes, sorry, but I can't help ya there.

#5 if there is anything else I am open to suggestions on what to look for.
A Drifter is a fine choice, but I will warn you up front.......if you don't like attention, don't get this bike! I get stopped at gas stations, traffic lights, everywhere! People love it!

#13 ·
i'd be surprised if that were the case.

No pog's were ever used on a drifter.

Sounds like you're going to become friendly with your local powder coater!

Most people find that a new set of risers cures the problem. Scootworks makes the "phatrisers 2" which is the most you can go without changing cables. It requires some rerouting, but stock cables will work. As for apes, sorry, but i can't help ya there.

A drifter is a fine choice, but i will warn you up front.......if you don't like attention, don't get this bike! I get stopped at gas stations, traffic lights, everywhere! People love it!

this^^^^^^

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.