Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

40mph deceleration wobble fixed

965 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  matt21080 
#1 ·
Had this problem since I bought the bike and hoped it was the front tire but turned out it was an even easier fix. I jacked the bike up and pulled back and forth on the forks, loose as hell. The 2 steering stem nuts were a full turn loose and could spin with my fingers! I used a screwdriver and hammer to tighten as much as I could and ordered this [ame]http://www.amazon.com/BikeMaster-Adjustable-Steering-Stem-Wrench/dp/B00M9IG69U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438442529&sr=8-1&keywords=Steering+stem+wrench[/ame] my Kawasaki repair manual says hand tight or 43 in-lb for the nut and locknut but everything I'm reading online says lets the handlebars fall while jacked up and they should not bounce. Hand tight will not achieve this! Anyway it feels like a new bike now, over bumps its smooth and tight, no decel wobble and when stopping I can keep the handlebars straight and no longer look like a noob. Wish I checked them 4 years ago when I got the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.