Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

MeanStreak engine question

8K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  sunnybob 
#1 ·
I have to replace the engine on my 2002 MeanStreak. What I need to know is will the 1500 engine from the 2003 MeanStreak fit the 2002 model. Need to know if they changed any of the engine mounts or if there are any fitment problems before I lay out the cash for another engine.

I know they changed the engine to the 1600 in 2004, but my dealership doesn't seem to know if there were any significant changes between the two 1500 models.

Can anyone help?

#5 ·
I went ahead and just completed having a 2007 1600 Meanstreak engine installed into my 2002 Meannie. The engine fit, but having some trouble with the idle and some back-firing. Can't seem to get the idle to settle down to about 800 where it should be. It either races at 1400 or drops to 200 rpm and stalls. Seems to be no middle ground. Also backfiring when shifting under acceleration. Wondering if installing a Power Commander will help solve this problem of there is something I'm missing here.

Any advice?

#7 ·
It surges between 1300 and 1500 rpm, and really is a bitch at slow speeds. It lurches until i get it to shifting speed. Wants to stall when I downshift to corner or stop. My mechanic suggested the power commander to try and fix this. Have to wait till one comes in. Just a little concerned in the meantime cause it seems to be running hot and is not smooth at slow speeds like it was before. Was a joy to cruise at any speed before the 1500 bit the bullet.

#8 ·
This may seem obvious to you guys, but if you went from a carb bike to an FI bike, wouldn't you need the ECM to go with it? Otherwise how would the FI know what to do? Swapping from a carb to an FI engine sounds easier said then done with the differences in electronics.

Lovjoy,
If your 2002 was already FI, then perhaps the change was pretty straight forward, but if not, can you comment on what else was required to get the bike to run at all?

#9 ·
The 1500 meanstreak was also fuel injected, and the ECM's are identical for the 1500 and1600. My mechanic is baffled too, cause there were no serious problems with the switch. We have ordered a K&N air filter and the Pwr Cmdr to see if that will smooth it out. Not sure what else could be causing the surging and the idle and stalling problems.

Wonder if anyone else has swapped the 1500 for the 1600 and run into any difficulties. They fit the same, just the bore is bigger.

#10 ·
I am not sure if the Kawasaki ECM is programmable or if your local dealer has the equipment to program. I just made some engine changes to my HD softail and had the dealer reflash the ECM to compensate for the changes. The power commander should give you
the options to make those changes yourself. You have added 100ccs and are probably running a little lean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.