Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Exhaust options for 2001 vn1500e

8K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  mbinnie 
#1 ·
I just upgraded from a VStar 650 to a 2001 VN1500e and love the bigger bike. One of the first things I'm looking at changing though is the stock pipes. My 650 had a set of Vance & Hines Slash Cuts and they had a rumble that made you want to go for the ride just to hear the pipes. When riding with my son, his fully chromed HD V-Rod would get the stares but when I rolled on the throttle and let it roar, his bike sounded like a little puppy whimper next to mine.

The stock pipes on my 1500 make me want to take a nap during my rides. So on to my first "upgrade"...

I know I'm pretty much limited to whatever aftermarket manufacturers have available. V&N has Long Shots and Straight Shots available and Cobra has about 5 different options. I had a guy tell me he really likes the sound of the V&H Long Shots on his '05 VN1500-FI. He has considered taking out the baffles for a louder rumble but he's afraid it might be too loud.

If you are a forum member who likes a nice deep rumble from your pipes, I would love to know what configurations you ended up with for the exhaust and the intake (if any). Did you opt for an out of the box configuration or did you make additional mods? What suggestions do you have for me in my endeavor?

Thanks everyone!

Rubber side down!

See less See more
#2 ·
Best "performance" will be in a 2into1 pipe...

Deepest rumble will be had by largest diameter pipes...

I personally like the "true" duals sound and the look is better balanced with one pipe on each side...

VH chrome has been questionable as of late whereas Cobra's chrome gets better reviews ... and a better warranty.

Hard Krome is in flux business-wise but I LOVE the look and sound of the 3-inch Big Straights...also they "supposedly only fit the Mean Streak"...
Maybe it's just the mounting bracket, not sure...

Or you could just do a "debaffle" ...

Now you are just as confused as I am...
:cool::cool::cool:

Luckymann77

Reactions: TJnOH
#3 ·
I have Cobra Lowboy Shotguns on mine and they have held up pretty well for 10 years.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/6618/i/cobra-hot-rod-lo-boy-shotgun-exhaust-system

A 2 into one system will get you somewhat better performance as mentioned above, but you have to like the look. And yes, a large diameter pipe will get you more rumble, but also cost you in a loss of exhaust velocity, causing you to lose some power.

My 2-1/4" pipes are plenty loud, have a nice tone, and I still get decent performance and mileage (about 40+ mpg). In fact, I wrapped the baffles with fiberglass cloth to dampen the volume a bit. I like the length of the Shotguns because they put the sound back behind the rear tire, which is nice for me on long rides.

Reactions: TJnOH
#8 ·
You would be incorrect.:D

#9 · (Edited)
Check my sig. Not the best pic but.....those Cobras came on the bike. But man do they sound mean. As far as a balance line....mine has no such thing ( I don't think-but, I haven't looked close either). I do however have a fuel management system (check my sig). I'm telling ya, that mug sounds good. JMO!

EDIT:Well. I have Cobra Speedster Longs and the description says:
These traditionally styled shotgun pipes also produce class-leading power gains. Includes our limited Lifetime Warranty.

Cobra's Speedster systems combine traditional styling and modern performance technology. These triple-chromed, shotgun-styled pipes feature full-length, 222-degree heat shields, chromed aluminum billet tips and are available in long, short and slashdown versions. They also deliver power gains over stock that are among the highest in the business. In part those gains come from the Cobra PowerPort, our proprietary crossover technology that helps to increase overall power from idle to redline. The end result is the Speedsters deliver the kind of power increase you normally experience with a 2-into-1 system, while retaining the clean classic lines of a 2-into-2 pipe.

So now I am wondering if I do have a crossover somewhere.:confused:

Attachments

#10 ·
#11 ·
I have Cobra Long Shots on my 2000 VN1500. Look similar to the ones pictured above. They were on it when I bought the bike. Did the reed valve block off because of some popping on decell, then later on put a K&N filter in place of the stock one. Bike sounds great, runs great and gets around 40 MPG. The comment on the longer pipes being behind you is right on the money....They sound great but it's nice to have them back behind you!

#12 ·
As stated t have Cobra Longs on mine. But they are almost too loud for me. Don't get me wrong...they sound good. But I usuallywear ear plugs with my turtle shell. But I've been wearing my full face the last few rides and they are just too loud. I may try to find a set of stock pipes and try them out. Just to see ya know?

Then, when I get bored, I can throw the Cobras Back on.

#13 · (Edited)
I had v&h long shots with every kind of baffle, all sounded like crap to me except big city thunder baffles, those gave the best hp/torque combo among baffles as well. Tried v&h propipe also, that gave more midrange punch than longshots ever could but it didn't really sound like a vtwin with that. I did full circle and back to stock. Got tired of riding with earplugs.

#16 ·
You have to get rid of it to run straight pipes. If you examine the stock pipes, they curve into the goat belly and back out again. You could take it to a muffler shop and have them fabricate a Dutch Bypass.

This is for a Nomad, but it can be done for Classics as well.

#15 ·
well, to that I say....cobra pipes with removable baffles is what I put on my bike. out of the box they looked awesome and sounded like a factory gold wing(no sound at all). then I pulled the baffles out, holy crap is that obnoxious. so in the baffles went again. then I took them out and cut them in half, then in half again. finally it sounded perfect, at only 4inches long each. they started at 18". the performance didn't really change but the grin on my face did. the chrome finish didn't last too long but I didn't care. the weathered look fits me. now my 2001 nomad came with new cobra mufflers. again, they were quiet. I destroyed they trying to get the baffles out. so I took a measurement to the auto muffler shop and had them cut and flare two equal length pipes and put them on. no baffles no chrome no problem. it sounds awesome.

#17 ·
that junction looks amazing. I did the same thing on my 92 88. but it was nothing like that. did you create that or a exhaust shop? I wonder why the pipes aren't straighter. the rear cyl. looks straight, I would have cut the curve off the header and made the connect straight. who ever did it did a nice job anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.