starting problems on my 03 1500 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

starting problems on my 03 1500

hey i was wondering if any one else had issues firing up there 1500 nomads. i just bought the bike it has 15k miles on it. its a 2003 1500 vulcan nomad

the thing is its a fuel injected bike but when i go to fire it at times i can sit there holding the start button and it will never fire it will turn over and fire once every 3 to 4 rotations but wont start. now if i give it some gas it will fire but then it will stall. i have to baby this thing worse then my carbed bike i use to have. i thought most fuel injected bikes you could just about fire and it would run. no need to baby it till it warmed up.

then the other day when i came to a stop off the highway its idle dropped real low and stalled on me. then it wouldn't fire again. i gave it some throttle and it fired but would stall again so i held the throttle open and just went. the odd thing is its rare for it to happen. it dose not run like this all the time

so i dont know if this is normal or if i might have a fuel injector thats dirty or even if i have a computer issue. im still getting a feel for the world of bikes and this is my first fuel injected bike. thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 12:34 PM

Get you some FI cleaner fluid for starters. I'm not an electrical or fuel whiz, but given the age of the bike it's feasible that the FI's need to be cleaned. Gas is pretty dirty.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Top Contributor

Take a look at this:

http://www.gadgetjq.com/tb_cleaning.htm

Post back.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 11:13 AM

Also, take a look at the injectors.

I don't have FI, but my carbs had backed themselves almost all the way out of the air intake and it was taking in way too much air and not enough fuel. Don't know if that will help, not exactly sure how the injectors are positioned.

'04 1500 Classic
National Cycle Heavy Duty Touring 21"
K&N filter
Cobra aftermarket pipes, rejetted
Kury ISO grips
Mustang passenger post cover
Willie and Max Saddlebags
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 10:16 PM
Top Contributor

Injectors give very little trouble, so they should not be touched until all other possibilities are exhausted.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
Take a look at this:

http://www.gadgetjq.com/tb_cleaning.htm

Post back.
good advice i will see about doing this ,this week end i did not know about this maint.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

update*** went ahead and tore into the bike cleaned the throttle body out and yeah there was a lot of carbon build up there just used some cleaning spray and q-tips taped together so i could reach back far enough and make it still enough so i could scrub it a bit. thing runs like a champ now.

one odd thing i was going to ask....on the right side of the bike under that TB cover plate when its running at idel there is a pinging sound like a small bell. it sounds like something hitting that cover lightly. this normal?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:42 PM
Top Contributor

Odd noises can be difficult to diagnose on the internet, and I am at a loss for this one.
Anyone else???
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
Odd noises can be difficult to diagnose on the internet, and I am at a loss for this one.
Anyone else???
it is hard to diagnose it only happens at idle and only every so often. when i am running down the road there is a light nocking sound . not a alarming one and the bike runs fine. i think i might need to run something though the oil next time i change it . im not really worried about it right now but i like to stay on top of things as they pop up instead of ignoring it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 10:37 AM
BOTM Winner, July 2013

Get you a bottle of Seafoam and put 4 or 5 oz. in the tank and top it off. Take it for a good ride, if the injectors are dirty this should clean them out. That stuff is just short of amazing. Cleaning the TB is good, but you need to clean the internals of the complete fuel system. Some bikes do a lot of sitting and the fuel will varnish up everything it touches. And ethanol is not good either, that stuff destroys aluminum.

Just realized this thread is two years old, my bad.

Last edited by Drifter 1500; 07-10-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode