Front cylinder not firing on 1500 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Front cylinder not firing on 1500

I have looked around this forum and couldn't find anyone having problems with there front cylinder not firing.
It started on a 2o min bike ride and all of a sudden it cut out and almost died.
Big loss for power, I found out when I got home that the front cylinder wasn't firing. I first changed the coils around to see if that was the issue and it wasn't.
Then I removed the left coil that feeds the front cylinder but left it plugged in, and stuck the plug in an cranked the bike over and there was spark. Felt great but once I replaced the coil back in the bike no spark again. At this point I am not sure what's going on.
I wondering at this point if something is grounding out somewhere. IF anyone has any ideas please let me know. Bike season is right around the corner and I want to be ready.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
how cheap are the coils?

i'd say replace it... i have a friend's intruder doing a similar thing and we need to replace the coil. i gotta find out the cost of a coil though. it sounds like it may be grounding out due to an internal failure when you bolt it in place.

'02 Drifter 1500
... just an awesome ride!

'08 Custom-ized
Candy Lime Green
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 08:40 PM
Top Contributor

Some questions:

1. What year?
2. What model?
3. How many miles?

Also, never check for spark without using the following tool:

http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/p...n=1&category=8

Using any other method puts your ignitor at risk, and that will not make your day!

Do not buy anything until the fault is proven by some troubleshooting.

Post back.
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

Model year

My bike is 1500cc 97 Vulcan Classic.
I would say it has about 45000 not really a lot.
The grounding issue for the coil sounds more real now that you mention it.
Because that's what it appears whats it's doing, sparking while not being grounded.
To note; I did change the coils around and the front cylinder still had the problem, which rules out a bad coil I would think. Now saying that, once I placed the left coil back on the bike it would not fire to the front spark plugs.
I did test the coils and they seemed to be within spec. The plugs are brand new with only 20klms on them. Sounds like a grounding issue somewhere......

Your thought?

Last edited by coffeeit; 02-21-2011 at 09:09 AM.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Top Contributor

You will have to test with the correct tool before any thoughts can be formed. They are very cheap and available at most auto supply shops.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
You will have to test with the correct tool before any thoughts can be formed. They are very cheap and available at most auto supply shops.
You can not correctly trouble shoot and eliminate any thing without the proper tools and following the correct order. You may luck up and solve the problem or you may waste alot of money chasing the wrong thing.

Sergeant Major/ Master Gunnery Sergeant U.S.M.C.
Veteran (many times over)
Patriot Guard Rider
2007 Vulcan Classic 1500
2007 Honda VTX 1800
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Top Contributor

As an add, leave all plugs and wires in place while you test. Only remove the wire that you have the tool plugged into.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Tear down number 4

This will be my 4th time taking the gas tank off to troubleshoot lol.
I have the manual, but it really doesn't go into great depth on fault-finding techniques. Question; If I turn the bike over and hold a test light on the power wire coming into the coil (While it's in place) I should get a palusing light for showing spark, correct?
I did turn the bike on to get power and tested the leads coming into the coils and both showed power input....now I'm scratching my head in wonderment.
I guess I will have to remove the coils and take them to get tested at a dealer... but from what I have learned most shops are parts replacement and don't bother with much testing. yea yea they would say it's junk need a new one and never test it... my experience only......
I will figure this out and when I do everyone will know about it.
I will take heed and get the right test tools so I don't end up replacing a dead IC because I blew it up from being stupid......

Last edited by coffeeit; 02-24-2011 at 08:28 AM.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Top Contributor

1. You will not see a pulsing light on the positive side of the coil.
2. Showing 12v on both sides of the coil when it is not running is correct.
3. Do not be too hard on the dealer. Many times coils can have intermittant problems due to heat, etc. If he tests it for you and it happens to work, then you go back and it fails, unbeknownst to you, then the tail chasing begins.

This a good example when the shotgun method does not work. It can empty your wallet in a hurry and the bike still does not run. Proper troubleshooting techniques must be employed.

Test for spark; if you have none, post back and maybe we can help. If it is there, a different approach can be taken.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot. I will try tomorrow night after work. I will test with the coils in to start and see what happens.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode