Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Top end noise/ very weak spark

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Jablze33 
#1 ·
Ok so I got an issue I need help with. Cruising in 4th or 5th if I roll on the throttle quickly and put the engine under a good load I get this horrible almost metallic top end noise, or it atleast it sounds it. Possible spark knock or something. So I pulled plugs to check them and they're getting very weak spark. I'm gonna double check them with a spark tester and new ones. But does anyone have any experience dealing with the same issue? It's an 04 1600 classic with 12k, only has after market exhaust (I know I need to get a fuel controller). Thanks for any input.

#5 ·
If I run anything but premium in my 07 Nomad, it does what you are describing..."Cruising in 4th or 5th if I roll on the throttle quickly and put the engine under a good load I get this horrible almost metallic top end noise..."

#6 ·
That's probably what it is then. I'm gonna refill with premium. I did check spark though also, and they weren't giving fat blue spark. It was really weak. That's why I was concerned about coils.

#9 ·
I would recommend checking the cam chain tensioners, although 12k would be really low for it to be the issue, I have heard in some places that they can need attention that early.

Here's a link to Jared's write up on it:
utahmotorcyclist.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-to-install-cam-chain-tensioner.html?m=1

For tensioner extenders:
chucksterscustoms.com/product/kawasaki-cam-chain-extenders/

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Well I hope it's not that. I had just filled up so I put octane boost in just til I get through this tank. By later today I will be filling up w/premium, changing plugs and doing alot of riding over the next few days. Will be going to "Thunder in the Valley" motorcycle rally. So I will update on my findings of how she runs. Thanks for all the help.

#13 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.