Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Wiring a cigerette lighter

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  EdSki 
#1 ·
Would I run into overload problems if I wire a cigerette lighter into my instrument cluster? I want to plug in a usb port to run a gps and charge my phone. I saw a video on connecting it directly to the battery but I don't want to inadvertently run the battery dead.

#4 ·
X3, easy peasy! I have a multitude of power outlets available for charging all kinds of bring along crap that needs charging while on the road.

Cheers!

Mike

#6 ·
Second everything said here...
There is an alternative to running a separate wire to the battery...
The answer is in the bucket !!!
Headlight bucket, that is...
Take your headlight out and all the wiring needed for this project is right in your grasp...
A factory fused accessory wire that is the needed constant hot...I think it is Yellow/red stripe.
A ground wire too...Blk/w Yellow stripe...
Both of these leads will be unused, so they are free to be whatever you like.
All that is needed is to figure out which "switched" lead you want to use...got a 12v test light???
And of course ...a relay.

If you haven't been to this site as of yet...GO !!!
Gadget's Fixit Page - Home

Ride On !!!
Luckymann77

#7 ·
I agree with luckymann. Just be mindful of what you plug into the cigarette lighter. These new smartphone charges can pull over 50 watts! Not sure on your model 45 - 60 watts is usually normal for rated output to a newer bikes headlight. As long as you don't plug in a 5000 watt power inverter to run your electric pressure washer at the next bike show, you should be okay!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.