Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Is it supposed to shake like that?

5K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  NorthernRider 
#1 ·
Just acquired a 2003 1600, moving up from a VN900. Love the power, but I'm surprised at the amount of vibration. Really feel it in my feet, and at certain speeds the entire instrument cluster is vibrating enough to make a buzz that I can hear with FF helmet and ear plugs. I have found that keeping the revs up takes most of it away.

So do I just need to adjust my shifting habits (get used to 80km/h in 3rd), or are there things I should be checking out?

Bike has 21,000 km, and is immaculate. Prev owner I know, in a small town way, and he is pretty finicky about maintenance on anything. But maybe that just extended to oil changes.

Thanks,
Lloyd

#3 ·
Idk If its much help, but maybe do a quick check to make sure everything is tight?

I have an 04 1600 classic, with about 60k miles on it. I've noticed at about 65-75 mph (104-120 kmh) my feet get a good vibration to them. I also got a really bad buzzing noise, but found out the chrome shield on one of my pipes was loose.

#4 ·
I got my 06 1600 after having ridden a 04 V-Star 650 and was immediately impressed by how smooth it was. It actually very nearly got me in trouble a few times because I inherently knew how fast the V-Star was going by the feel. I went into more than one corner just a tad bit hot :)

I know these are geared fairly tall and shifting too early can cause them to lug a fair bit. Just as an example, the total gearing (from engine RPM to road speed) for the 1600 SECOND gear is identical to the FOURTH gear on my old 650.

#5 ·
I get extra vibration in my 1600 Nomad at a certain higher RPM range & I think that is just normal for a v-twin. Mine is usually around 80-85 MPH in 5th gear.

I've had a loose heat shield before as well and I took muffler tape, cut it in half, rolled each half up like a cigarette, wedged them under the heat shield, ran the bike to heat them up, and voila! no more rattle. It's been solid for a year, so I don't think I will have any more issues with it.

#6 ·
As an add to what others have said:

These engines do like "some" revs...
Meaning, keep it above at least 1500 rpm and get a tach BTW...
If you're feeling lots of vibrations, down shift...
She's telling you that your in too high of a gear...

For reference, 60 mph is around 1600 rpms in 5th gear...

Luckymann77

#7 · (Edited)
Hi enderbyte
You wrote "I have found that keeping the revs up takes most of it away." Sort of backwards from what you might expect. I would also recommend you check to make sure everything is tight especially engine mounts. And look to see if there are any cracks/broken mounts or attachment bolts. I never owned a 1600 so I can offer much more help.
If it were mine I would take it to a good shop or mechanic familiar with these bikes and have them check it out.
Good luck with the new bike.
WEG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.