Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Sputter/no power when warm

7K views 32 replies 4 participants last post by  Bmholzhauer 
#1 · (Edited)
So this sounds like a somewhat familiar issue, though mine is an extreme case. I purchased this 2006 vulcan nomad 1600 with 26,000 mi, fully stock. It ran fine when it was cooler out, though no rides further than 40-50 mi. Once the weather heated up I went on a nice slow 10 mi cruise, running about 20 mph through some parks, fan turned on. Went onto a 2 lane rd and got up to 60mph and cruised approx 5 minutes in 4th gear. When I twisted back on the throttle to accelerate to 70 I thought the bike ran out of gas, it had nothing but a sputter, but didn't die. It did this any time I got the rpms up and had to limp back home doing 55 in 5th gear, couldn't t crank it past that. Did the resistor mod, same issues. Checked and cleaned throttle body, same issues. (They were clean FYI) removed resistor mod and installed a cobra powrpro, same issues. Removed powrpro and now I have an FI light on constantly, it had never illuminated before, but bike still runs identical. If I hop on the bike, it rips just fine until it really warms in traffic or just sitting. Before going to the dealer (they can't get me in for 2 weeks) I thought I'd ask ya'll. I am still getting power at the temperature control sensor plug, and I made sure vent hoses were good, even put my mouth on them and blew to make sure they were free and clear. I'm at a loss boys and girls.

#30 ·
Well, after weeks of tries and failures, my fuel pump loses pressure when it starts to have the issue. It's been at the dealer, st boni motorsports here in Minnesota, and we finally have a verdict. I bought a used fuel pump from bandit who is parting out his 04 1600, because there is no way I'm paying over $500 for a fuel pump that so many people seem to have trouble with. If this is the fix I've been needing, I may think of switching to an aftermarket pump should this used one fail in the future. What I for the life of me can't understand is why the bike has to get so hot to have the issue. The fuel pump is inside the gas tank which is cool as a cucumber. Unless perhaps some sort of reflective insulation around the bottom of th pump underneath the tank could help to shield it in the future?

#8 ·
Gadgets procedure is for both 1500's and 1600's
1500's have three ECU plugs, 1600's have only one.
Yours should have a loose yellow wire that you ground. Find the yellow on the ECU connector and follow it back to an open end.
When retrieving codes, be sure and follow exceptions for 1600 as noted.

Be sure and ask any questions.

#11 ·
So somehow the electrical connector had come apart inside the heat shrink and was not connected. (Air temp sensor) got that fixed, and re-installed the cobra powrpro. Let it sit and run til the fan kicked in, then took for a ride through some subdivisions, then a 60 minute ride between speeds of 60-70mph. No problems, but it was only 70 degrees, and had rained most of the day so the roads were pretty cool as well. It's supposed to be mid 80's tomorrow so I will put it to work in the heat and report back.

#14 ·
Well......took it for a long ride. It was about 84 degrees and I rode for nearly 45 minutes before I had to go through some construction and it was stop and for for 5 minutes or so. When I got going about 59-60 mph again it bogged if you tried to twist the throttle. Another curious item is that when I let it sit and warm up, it sounds like it may need a throttle position sensor. It idles up and down slightly and adjusting the idle twist screw can never quite get it right as it tends to idle to far up and down. On a positive note, no FI light ever comes on, even when the bike acts up, so I think that problem is solved. As for the main issue, I'm still lost and frustrated.

#23 ·
Here are YouTube links to the bike idling

The first is cold start, the second is after sitting for 8 minutes, then a good long ride. Sadly it was too cold out to get the bike to have its issue.
I'm not sure this is truly an issue as I don't really have anyone else's Vulcan to compare it to. Though it seems to be "hunting" as you say.

https://youtu.be/1YiA_BgDhmI
https://youtu.be/psKzaelXSj4

#27 ·
The choke on the left pulls in and out and I've never used it, it's all the way in. There is a twist knob on the end of a cable on the right that adjust the idle speed, I can turn that down. I'm sure the previous owner turned it up hoping it would solve the problem. I was thinking, once I had an 09 Malibu that ends up with a bad catalytic converter, and it kind of feels like that. Though it makes no sense that it waits until it heats up that much to have the problem.

#28 ·
May have uncovered the issue today. Decided to hook the processor back up and instead had my fiancé just hold the fuel tank as I've gotten pretty good with that whole area. While underneath, the fuel line looked kinked, which of course it was. I believe this issue was the same as jackmando as our kinked lines look the same. I rode afterwards and no issues so far. I will check back in a week to post whether this fixed it for sure.

Jackmando had the kinked fuel line and then fried everything by jumping it with a car battery, sorry I don't know how to link back to that post.

#29 ·
Well.....it happened again today. I stopped by my favorite Kawi dealer bc I was close and had them take a quick peek. His immediate assessment was tps or possible valve recall issue from the factory. They can't dive into it until next week so until then I guess I'm on 4 wheels.

#31 ·
Prepare for picture overload:
Deciding to disassemble and get to my fuel pump here is the first thing I see

That's rust piled up on the connections on the fuel pump.

When I began to disassemble the pump housing itself the pickup area had about a half inch of crap piled up in the bottom. Crap I can only describe as rusty colored sand. The strainer was covered and filled with it as well.

Now I'm no mechanic, but I think I may have uncovered my root problem. I rode the bike for about an HR to burn off most of the gas, let it sit for about 2 hrs then started the work. When I got to the pump, it was still pretty warm when I started deconstruction. The strainer on the inside had to be pressed up against that pile of crud, it's amazing I was getting fuel at all.
When I cleaned the posts, I was removing the wires and thought someone had been in there before because he rusty post was missing the lock washer. However it actually had just rusted away and nearly disentegrated!

The inside of the tank wasn't rusty at all, however I did clean the bits and particles of debris from removing the pump. Probably don't need the new pump, but after what this one has been through it probably not a bad idea. I'll post back Wednesday with the results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.