Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Anyone use FRAM filters?

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  4b316 
#1 ·
Fram PH8A is on sale at Canadian Tire. Anyone use FRAM on their bike? any reason I shouldnt?

#2 ·
Fram filters got a bad reputation somewhere along the line. First I heard anything negative was on this forum, and I've used them for years, and still do. Don't know for sure, but across the line they're probably the biggest selling brand sold here in the U.S. Several internet ratings sites put them at the bottom in quality, but they're bottom priced too.

#3 ·
This link is to an often-noted but dated comparison of some motorcycle oil filters, which may be useful even if filters specifically for Kawasaki bikes are not included. It does give some insights into some different manufacturer's procedures which were current when the comparison was done a few years ago. According to a recent interview, Fram still uses cardboard/paper end caps for the filtering media, claiming that it allows better adhesion between the media and the end caps than metal caps do. Motorcycle Oil Filter Comparison

I use Purolator PureOne filters in my VN900.

#4 ·
Thanks guys, think I'll go with k&n kn-204c
I like the chrome casing heheh

#5 ·
I use the K and N because of the nut welded onto the end cap. Not sure what number, 3, 0, something, just plane black. Works fine, never used FRAM I heard bad things about them, I do not remember what was said.

#6 ·
Well it's just my 2ct's worth, but The drag racing team I once worked on ran Fram oil filters until the night the Fram collapsed and blew a 50K engine. Never ran a Fram since. For the last several years I have run Purolator PureONe Filters in my 5 vehicles and won't run anything else. Good Luck with your choice,

HalBreed

#9 ·
Not saying they're all that bad, but it only takes one, and I've had mine. May not ever see it again, but I don't want to either and yes I know they still sell the heck out of them, like I said just my 2cts worth and really not worth that much.

HalfBreed

#8 ·
A few years ago I changed oil and filter on my VN2000 when I removed the FRAM oil filter I noticed something loose inside, the filter element had come loose inside the housing Im not sure why but I will never buy another FRAM product again, I am now NAPA filters

Ride Defensive Ride Safe

#10 ·
We have used Fram filters for 40 years in everything from a 250 Honda up to our full blown asphalt late model race car.The garages I worked at,used Fram quite abit because of their affordability.I don't think oil change places would continue to use them if motors were blowing up or oil starvation problems would be popping up and they would be suing Fram left and right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.