Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Changing the sparkplugs

10K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  eg78 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
I will be changing the plugs on my vn1600 this week and want to make sure im doing it right. I read the service manual and it seems pretty straight forward, remove old ones, insert new ones, tighten to 13ft-lb. I also read on some sites that I should insert some oil into the hole before putting the new plug in...is this recommended? what is the purpose? should I do it, or just replace the plugs?

Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
eggrs,, always rember, ritey titey, leffy looser..
put some spark plug thread "anti sieze" aka silver schitt on them plugs b4.. always start yor plugs by hand and never force them or cross thread them back in. oh yeah, chek/set the gap firstest.

some put fog type oil spray in their cylinders b4 they put them up for the winter. not required if yor gonna fire it up and ride it.

#3 ·
Thanks Ponch!
Whats the recommended way to set/check the gap for our bikes? Never done that before.... I'll get me some anti-seize stuff this week.

#4 ·
Thanks Ponch! Whats the recommended way to set/check the gap for our bikes? Never done that before.... I'll get me some anti-seize stuff this week.
when, where you get yor plugs. they will have (wire) gap tool and anti seize stuff. chek yor owners manual for proper gap setting.

I would bet yor v16 came stock with iridium plugs. they are good for 50k miles or more. some fellas like to change things because they can. ok. but it is not necessary. I changed mine at 50k and they still looked like new.
Irridium plugs are standard in most newer motors. my truck they were good at 100k. but I changed anyway. poncho

brown/tan = good. white = too lean, too hot. black = too rich, too cold.

Attachments

#5 ·
Right on, bought the plugs on amazon, but will go get a gap tool and anti seize at Canadian tire this aft...

#7 ·
I read they should be around .34, this tool looks like what I'm after...whatdyouthink?
it works. here is one I use looks like this. they do the same thing.

Attachments

#9 ·
Lotta people say the gap should be between .031 and .036 online... but the service manual says this:

Measure the gap [D] with a wire-type thickness gauge. If the gap is incorrect, carefully bend the side electrode with a tool to obtain the correct gap. Spark Plug Gap: 0.8 ∼ 0.9 mm (0.03 ∼ 0.03 in.)

I'm not sure what to make of that... what is the correct gap using the gap tool for a Nomad 1600 2006? I was gonna go with .034 but the manual is calling for 0.03 ∼ 0.03 in.

#11 ·
Thank you very much! I suppose I could calculated that... lots to learn here :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.