Excessive Oil Usage - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Excessive Oil Usage

I was looking for some help with my new issue. I have a 07' Nomad 1600. It has turned over 45k km's and while on my trip last week I started at 41k. I started the trip with the second oil change of Mobile 1 (V-Twin) from Amsoil. In 4000 km's I burnt / used 1 litre of oil. Has there been anyone else experience this? By the way the bike has pinged ever since new and if I'm not careful it rattles pretty good if climbing hills. I gear down and run pretty high RPM's. 4th gear at up to 120 km's per hour then shift into 5th. Wondering if I've blown an oil ring althought the plugs aren't fouling and look clean. Also no leaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 06:22 AM

Look at the front of cylinder 1, check to see if the crankcase breather tube is intact and not leeking. It runs from the front of cylinder 1 over the engine and into the back of your intake plate. There may be some "mung" on the tube but if not excessive I wouldn't worry.
Another place to check is the sparkplug area. You can remove the sleeve around the sparkplug and check to see your cam chain tensioners are not cutting thru the sleeve

"Rust Never Sleeps" - Neil Young
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Top Contributor

You have to get that "pinging" repaired or oil consumption will be the least of your worries!

Post back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode