Shifter linkage came apart!! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Shifter linkage came apart!!

My 2007 V2K Classic shifter linkage came apart at the back end on the way home from riding?? I was able to scavenge a piece of wire to tie it up and drove home in 5th gear, bike wasn't happy about that... Do you have to replace the whole linkage or do the turnbuckles come off?? Apprecite any info., thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 06:36 PM
Top Contributor

it comes apart , you got any pics? which part broke off? i recently put on some forwards, the linkage is kinda in a weird spot under the bike
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

??

Not sure whats broke, looks like the threaded tie rod end came out of the buckle, can it be tightened back in somehow??
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Top Contributor

It looks like the shift rod is seperate from the shift lever linkage. At least that's what I'm seeing in the manual and an online parts store. The rear locknut has left hand threads. The rear linkage is $29.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 04:09 PM

I hit a stump with the front part of the linkage and it forced the shaft backwards and broke the shaft. It has a left hand thread on one end and a right hand on the other end, the threaded ends are a small size, maybe 6mm?
and also they are hollow( designed to break if you hit something?).
If it just loosened and fell apart when you were riding you must have had problems with it shifting? My ordeal ended up taking out like 5 parts inside and the shaft that crosses 90 deg. through the motor was bent and broke was also on back order for like 3 months. It sucked and cost me like 400.
Please keep us posted.

Thanks

2006 V2K
Ride Safe
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Quick Fix!!

Not sure but I think it just came out and will not tighten back up?? I don't have time to mess with it right now so I pushed the threaded rod end all the way into the knuckle and bonded it real good with liquid metal!!! Rode for a long ride and no issues, $5.95 repair for now!! Thanks for the input....
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Top Contributor

i removed the front foot rest so i could spin it easily , i used to have trouble finding first some times but after i adjusted it its shifts perfect now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode