Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

35 years and I had my first crash yesterday.

16K views 116 replies 41 participants last post by  rkd2.3 
#1 ·
I proved yesterday that two bikes cannot occupy the same spot at the same time.

Don't know how bad she(bike) is yet, I spent a day and a half in hospital. Got broken left thumb, lots of road rash, really sore back, can barely walk, right elbow is hamburger, did face plant on pavement, don't look too good right now.
Feel much worse.

#67 ·
Hey Cool Pig; just saw this string today... glad to hear you're still with us even if the beast has moved on to motorcycle heaven. God has established a time for everyone to take his last breath and apparently this wasn't yours! Just curious...what were you wearing when you went down? Any specific kind of jacket? Gloves? Bahama shorts?

#69 ·
I have no doubt that God put His hand on me and that my time had not come yet. Thank You Lord.

Was wearing just jeans, short sleeve shirt, boots and helmet. Wasn't trying to be fashion statement. This is Texas and most of the time too hot to wear much.

#75 ·
Glad you are still here to share the story, CP. Sorry to hear I can welcome you to the "CRASHING SUCKS" club!! BTW, its a lifelong membership, cuz you've already paid your dues. !!
Get well soon,bikes can be replaced & remember, yrs from now, the story will be even better !!!

#79 ·
Looks like it will be about two months or more before I get to use left hand again. going in Thursday to have pins shot into thumb and hand to hold it all in place for a while. Doc says two months +/- before they can take pins out.

It borders on impossible to put on a pair of button front jeans with one hand.
One must wear a baggie on broken body part to take shower.
Any body part in a cast ITCHES!
Meat can not be cut with one hand.
Forget it's broke and you will try to pick something up and say cuss words cause it hurts.

Little words of wisdom I have recently learned.

#82 ·
Not to mention, that if you are a lefty , wiping can be a challenge., Slip -ons take on a whole new appeal , vs laces. Its also almost impossible to carry ANYTHING while using crutches.
Time to be thankful its only temporary!!!

#94 ·
Hey Coolpig at least you can talk about it. I hadn't been on this forum since Sept 4 due to something similar. I was riding home and some lady ran a stop sign. Like you I tasted pavement and had a couple of peperonies on my face. After leaving the hospita. with broken ribs and a few other dents on me, I had to fight with her insurance reps. I decided on hiring an attorney. Well my insurance paid for my damages which by the way some were on the engine gaurd and foot rest. I had the presence of mind to pick up my right leg right before impact. My foot rest was bent up somehting aweful up against the engine. I can walk pretty good still. Nothing on my legs except for a peperoni on my knee. On the bright side my bike will be ready and rideable by Wednesday and I can't wait.

#97 ·
#99 ·
My First on My 2000

After 58,000 plus miles and 3 years on my 2000 classic I went down. I have over $6,000.00 in extras added to the bike. It has a bent frame. Front end is bent to left sitting on the bike. Now what do I do ? Sell it to a salvage yard ? Piece part it on Craigs list ? I don't know if it's worth all the time and money to fix her. What do you all think ?

#100 ·
After 58,000 plus miles and 3 years on my 2000 classic I went down. I have over $6,000.00 in extras added to the bike. It has a bent frame. Front end is bent to left sitting on the bike. Now what do I do ? Sell it to a salvage yard ? Piece part it on Craigs list ? I don't know if it's worth all the time and money to fix her. What do you all think ?
If you didn't have collision insurance you're much better off to just set it up on the stand somewhere and start tearing it apart for the pieces.

The engine alone is probably worth $2500, approximately. All of the accessories that you have on it you can probably sell them to other guys that own Vulcans. At least you could get some money back out of it.

#103 ·
Yup

If you like the bike and have collision I would also buy it back from the insurance company and use it as a parts bike.
I have been doing this on my Valkyries.
BOTH bikes are salvage. One a deer crash,the other a rear end SUV crash.
Works for me.

JJ

Attachments

#104 ·
If you like the bike and have collision I would also buy it back from the insurance company and use it as a parts bike.
I have been doing this on my Valkyries.
BOTH bikes are salvage. One a deer crash,the other a rear end SUV crash.
Works for me.

JJ
I asked about buying my bike back from the insurance company, they told me it would take over $5000 to get it back, I said never mind.

#107 ·
Thanks for all the feed back !

I bought my 2007 Vulcan 2000 classic brand new. I didn't have collision at all. I needed a bike to make a planned trip to Vegas. I bought a 2009 Nomad so I could make the trip. It is a lot easyer to ride. I'm not getting any younger. Parts from the 2000 are pretty much useless. I think your all right with piecing it out and saying good by to it. I'm not going to stop riding.

#108 ·
wow thats crazy $5000 buyback.... MOST insurance companys up here run a buyback of 10% of what the payout for the bike was... example my 06 wave they payed me $8250 when it was totaled and i bought it back for $825...

#109 ·
V2k gone away

My bike finally went to auction and now I need another ride. Looking at V2K's, Honda VTX 1800's, and a few others but really want something comparable to the beast. I miss her.
Anyone know of anything out there for sale that's in good shape at reasonable price?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.