Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

35 years and I had my first crash yesterday.

16K views 116 replies 41 participants last post by  rkd2.3 
#1 ·
I proved yesterday that two bikes cannot occupy the same spot at the same time.

Don't know how bad she(bike) is yet, I spent a day and a half in hospital. Got broken left thumb, lots of road rash, really sore back, can barely walk, right elbow is hamburger, did face plant on pavement, don't look too good right now.
Feel much worse.

#2 ·
Wow. Thoughts and prayers are with you coolpig, that's no good!

Hope the bike doesn't turn out to be too bad, but, most importantly, hope you don't turn out to bad! That can't feel good.

Let us know how things turn out.

John

#5 ·
Wishing you a speedy recovery CP.
Glad you are up and about, hope the bike isn't too bad too.

Scott

#13 ·
yep, like others said, I'd like to know what happened.

The last 2 days I've been at the Lone Star Bike Rally. Probably the third biggest bike rally in the states now.

I'm constantly looking over at people with a "Hey, your crowding my riding space" look. I don't like people ridding right next to me. It gives neither of us room to maneuver if needed.

#15 ·
Old bodies sure do heal slowly ... but they do heal!;)
When you are ready, details would be nice. We all learn from them, and I share them with my son-in-law. He high-sided his several months back, and I'm using these tales of woe from us old-timers to get him to understand that if you ride, sooner or later you will perform an unannounced dismount. It hurts, it may be embarrassing (if you are young enough), but for me, I will get back into the saddle until I can no longer swing my leg over. Then it's time to get back on my maxi-scooter! And there are some cool-looking trikes out there now ...

Rest up, heal up, and know we are all here for support!

#16 ·
Unannounced Dismount

Was riding all over Galveston with GoPro camera mounted atop helmet, getting good video of bikes, girls,:D beach, girls, :D all the service tents, etc., etc.

Had made a couple loops down seawall, through town and back to Strand. Don't remember what street it was but I was going South. Came to cross street with stop sign. I stopped and waited for several cars and bikes to clear and I went across. Next stop sign is two blocks down. Going about 10 mph I approached intersection but could not see to the right. Eased out a bit and could not see anything coming. Let clutch out, started rolling, looked up, AWW CRAP, this is gonna hurt. POW, I T-boned him on left side. the next few seconds are a blur but i wound up doing a face plant on nice warm pavement right on my already ugly mug.

Helmet flew off, glasses broke, scratched and twisted all to, well, they were twisted. Camera came out of mount and went skittering to some where else.

My .45 auto came out of the holster and slid a ways. I landed right on top of it. Rolled over, grabbed pistol and put it back in holster. By then there was probably ten people around me going "Dude, are you alright"? Guess what my answer was.

EMT's and Police arrived and the usual blocked road scenario happened. I told the Police Officer that I had a weapon on me. He looked at me and said "Yeah, so do I, where you got it hid?" Right side I answered. He said "Well let go of it and I'll get it." Cool as all get out.

There's more but I can't type too well with one hand.

Long Story Short: Take nothing for granted. The instant you do will be the instant you come up with Unannounced Dismount, and that hurts like a big dog. Nothing is so important that you and I both can't take the time to ensure our own safety and well being. DON'T GAMBLE, the odds are always in the House's favor, not yours.

Guys, thanks for all the well wishes and prayers and I send them right back to you also. PLEASE, drive your scoots sensibly and stay away from hospitals.

CoolPig

#18 ·
CP, best thing is that you are gonna be okay and any bike can be replaced if necessary.

Love the rallies in Texas, the one in Austin is now listed as the 5th largest in USA and the one in Galveston as 6th largest. (see: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/famous-motorcycle-rallies.htm) for latest attendance info.

But, the Galveston can not be beet for time of year and the beautiful location, love the old island town and riding the sea wall, what a view.

Get well, CP. :)

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App

#19 ·
Glad you are all right and hopefully healing sooner rather than later. It's been 29 years since my last major "unintended dismount" at highway speed. All I can say is always be ready to meet your maker as it can happen to any of us in the blink of an eye. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!

#21 · (Edited)
Ouch pig, that sounds rough. I'd say I'd like to see that video but then again maybe I wouldn't, ouch. Those blind intersections will get ya.

Had the scare of my life a while back, and I wasn't even riding. I was in my car, leaving church behind a pack of bikers, all friends of mine. Church was having a BBQ but I had stuff to haul so I got the short stick and took the 4-door instead of the bike. Was behind them, then slowed down and stopped because something in the back of my car slid and I had to adjust it (just going a mile, to where the BBQ was, carrying meat and stuff). Looked up, hit the throttle, heard an awful BANG and saw glass and plastic pieces fly all over in front of me. My heart sank I thought my buddies just got mowed over. Turned out, when I had stopped and pulled off a car had gone around me. They had JUST.. and I mean JUST made it through the intersection when the car that passed me was nailed with a speeding BMW in the intersection.

Could have either been me or them, the lady in the car was banged up bad (Mr. Beemer didn't have a scratch, his car was obliterated but he was fine. Gotta hand it to Germany those are safe cars). Just so very glad it wasn't those bikes. The impact was awful, even with these guys all wearing full leather and mostly full face helmets (it was about 35 degrees outside), there's no way that wouldn't have been very, very bad news.

Same situation though, it's a completely blind intersection. Residents of the are know to slow coming over that hill (55mph speed limit) and look to see if a car is coming through, since neither party can see over that hill. But this BMW was going about 65 and hit the car full speed, no time to even reach the brake.

One of those awful situations where stuff just happens. It was, by letter of the law, the BMW's fault. But this intersection is awful and dangerous, it could've happened to anybody.

As a matter of fact, to give you an idea of how close it was, many those bikes were still in the adjacent road and I had to jump 4 of them. Guys either pulled off or just stopped right there and jumped off to see what they could do, and several of them just hit the kill switch and left the key on. Emergency crews had the whole intersection blocked off for about an hour, mostly to clear all of the debris, anti-freeze, engine oil, etc. off the road before ANOTHER accident was started.

#28 ·
wishes for a speedy recovery brother..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.