Engine Noise - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Displacement/CC's: 2053
Color: Red
Garage
Exclamation Engine Noise

Ok, I did some searching and couldn't come up with anything so I'm hoping that someone can help me figure out what is going on. There is a link to a video that I'm hoping works (if not let me know)... The noise only starts after riding for a half hour or more and at first sounded like the cooling fan or something in that area. The noise is unaffected by speed or gear and the video was taken after riding it a little while while it was sitting in neutral. The bike is good on oil and coolant but i am not sure where to start looking. The bike is a 2005 also

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...EY3WFZKbmtQMlE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Vulcan V2K
- Hard-Krome 3" Big Straights
- Power Comander
- Thunder Intake
- Lots more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 12:04 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2004 VN2000
Color: Metallic Dark Purple Prism
My guess is on the cooling fan kicking in. Though I've only had my V2K for two weeks, it sounds similar to what happens on my other bike (Suzuki Volusia) when going really slow (e.g. traffic jam) or when idling on a warm day. These bikes are only partly liquid cooled and still relies on air flow once the temperature rises enough.
The cooling fan would be unaffected by speed or gear.
From the service manual:

Quote:
When coolant temperature is below 58 ∼ 62C, the thermostat closes so that the coolant flow
is restricted through the air bleeder hole, causing the engine to warm up more quickly. When coolant
temperature is more than 58 ∼ 62C, the thermostat opens and the coolant flows.
When the coolant temperature goes up beyond 100 ∼ 110C, the radiator fan switch conducts to
operate the radiator fan. The radiator fan draws air through the radiator core when there is not sufficient air flow such as at low speeds. This increases up the cooling action of the radiator. When the
temperature is below 97 ∼ 103C, the fan switch opens and the radiator fan stops.
If this happens excessively, it might be a good idea to check the coolant quality and maybe replace it if you've never done it before. Also check if the overheat indicator light go off when you hear this sound.

One more snippet from the service manual:
Quote:
Cooling System Flushing
Over a period of time, the cooling system accumulates
rust, scale, and lime in the water jacket and radiator. When
this accumulation is suspected or observed, flush the cooling system. If this accumulation is not removed, it will clog
up the water passage and considerably reduce the efficiency of the cooling system.
Let us know if you need help on how to check the coolant quality.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 12:09 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2004 VN2000
Color: Metallic Dark Purple Prism
I might as well post this in case someone else needs it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coolant.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	194570  

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
it's not the fan because I can hear it even when I can see that the fan is not running. initially i thought the fan but then i noticed that it was switching on and off and i could still hear the noise

2005 Vulcan V2K
- Hard-Krome 3" Big Straights
- Power Comander
- Thunder Intake
- Lots more!

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 04:09 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
It didn't sound like the fan to me either. My fan has the wind up and wind noise, there is no mistaking it. That high pitched whine is new to me.,.....

Sorry I have no clue.........

06 1500 Classic FI (Anniversary Edition)
Reward the truth, punish the liars...Ted Nugent
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 12:41 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: V2K Does it matter what year??
Displacement/CC's: A Shitload
Color: Black+Gun Metal
A lot of us have struggle with a noise (I sure did) that was very hard for me to pin-point, I had described it like a toy helicopter that would start out of nowhere but mine would only sound at certain revs.

After a long time having to live with it I ended figuring out it was a rattle of the nacel, turned out it is a common problem and it has to do with a lack of soft material between the cover and the body of the big bucket of the bugeye, I think (that's where I eliminated the rattle it eluded me for almost a year).

There are several threads on this issue in the 4um.

The way I finally caught it was a time I was riding without the fairing and I when I heard the noice I was able to reach out and hold the rim of the bugeye and that was it.

salu2

Chanoc

Last edited by chanoc1077; 06-15-2017 at 12:44 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 05:33 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 2000
Color: Purple
Same noise

Hi Jtoad, just joined again today after losing details of last account, one thing that prompted me to get back in touch with these knowledgeable people was that noise, not having ridden my bike for some months on a ride last week i have discovered the very same noise as you, thought it was perhaps the fan driving all the time but not that, no effect with revs or in or out of gear, i have had the bike 9 years and done 22000kms of its 44k and never heard this noise, seems to come in a few minutes after starting? i really hope someone knows what may be going on. I wont be able to get mine to the shop for about 3-4weeks to see what they can find, will need a fix on the neutral light issue at the same time. will try and get a sound vid like you to post.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok, the best I can describe it is that it sounds like a vacuum in the distance. The fan is not running during this video clip so it isn't that and I took the cover off the intake also and it doesn't sound like that either

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...0N5VWZVVUlUUWM
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:20 AM
Lifetime Premium

Just spit balling here but have you looked at your AIS plumbing (if still fitted). Maybe a hose is damaged or your blanking bungs damaged? Just thinking out loud.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
update... turns out when the previous owner put on the thunder intake they plugged the intake hose for the AIS but never removed it. I finished removing all the extra hoses and valve and capped off the ports on the heads. after warming up the bike and going for a short ride the noise still came on after about 10 minutes.

a friend of mine said that it sounded like the fuel pump... if I put my ear to the tank it is ridiculously loud but that could just be the noise resonating in the tank from underneath. is it possible that the fuel pump is going and making this noise? is there a way to test it without just throwing money at it to replace it??????

Last edited by jToad118; 06-20-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode