Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

My vulcan 2000 have faulty engine, need urgent support

11K views 35 replies 7 participants last post by  Akram 
#1 ·
Dears,
I am Akram Ali From Egypt and currently living in Kuwait.
Its my first thread here, and i wont make it long, but kindly i need all the support i can get.
I just bought my 2006 Vulcan 2000 Custom " fully customized body parts and design", apparently it wasnt a good deal as the bike has 20K miles on it but apparently the engine is working fine, a lot of vibrations and started eating Oil!, i sent it to the workshop 2 of them!, and both confirmed that its a faulty engine and it needs full repair.
Anyway after a full week of engine deassembley and inspections the LIST arrived, and Guys its huge list with over 30 items, all of them are Engine parts " pistons, cylinders..etc", and engine repair cost will pass the 4K$ mark!!.
So i need to know your opinions if should i proceed with such repair or shall i buy a Full engine, but i am worried that used engines might be faulty.
Any suggestions or help, i am open to all ideas and thoughts .
I need to repair my bike and get it in good shape in 20 days, but i feel its huge amount of money to renew and fix the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Very unusual for a 2k engine with that low milage being scrap.
Never heard about a full rebuilt at all, we have bikes with over 200.000km in our group with unopened engines.
Vibrations are normal, but what is too much?
You don't have stock air cleaner and pipes, you have a fuel processor, probably with a wrong map?
How much oil consumption? What kind of oil?
It's quiet warm in your region, you should try 20W50 first, that quiets the engine.
A used motor, probably not a good idea, why should an motor be removed of this stunning bike. Accident, motor damaged?

#3 ·
Thanks @Kleinerfrank for your reply, actually my thought that the guy i bought the bike from maybe was not taking care of anything related to the engine, as the engine has no oil almost and once you fill it it literally eats it which indicate a serious problem with the cylinders!, also i agree with you on your advice about used engines yet i am stuck with a dead bike now and dont know what to do

#11 ·
If it is apart, then not much I can help with.
White smoke usually means too rich and sometimes coolant burning too, not necessarily oil.
If it were rich on an ongoing basis, it could dilute the oil with fuel and eventually lead to engine wear.
If it were coolant, the same would apply.

These are only guesses at this point.

I like to help over the forum so that others can add their thoughts.

#12 ·
Would really have needed to see a video of the white smoke coming out, to help judge what was going on.

and yea, i have NEVER heard of a V2K needing an engine rebuilt. but.. like anything else, if it's not taking care of, it will wear out.

#13 ·
Would really have needed to see a video of the white smoke coming out, to help judge what was going on.

and yea, i have NEVER heard of a V2K needing an engine rebuilt. but.. like anything else, if it's not taking care of, it will wear out.

Thanks man for the support, i ll upload a video of the engine at idle and you will notice that there is weird sounds

#14 ·
This is just a guess at this, but with the miles as low as they are what do you guys think about a issue with the break in period of the bike? most bikes off the line need to be ran and serviced a certain way at certain mile caps like 500-1000 miles its suppose to be taken in and serviced and for the 1st 1500-2000 its not suppose to be hot dogged at all. i had a buddy that cooked a motor on a bike that had 10 miles on it from the show room floor, he got to about 350 miles on it before he had internal failing.

if the break in wasn't done correctly it could have lead to rapid engine wear?.

the only other thing is this looks like a heavily modified bike so a previous mechanic could have messes up some where on the internals or tired to reuse old gaskets while working on it. ive seen that done. it never ends well. but im with the others ive never seen a v2k have a full engine failure at that low miles. the only advice i would give is do a cost compare , new motor vs the rebuild . sometimes doing the rebuild is a more reliable way to go because it will give you the ease of mind that you know the guts are all new and you shouldn't have any issues.

#18 ·
This is just a guess at this, but with the miles as low as they are what do you guys think about a issue with the break in period of the bike? most bikes off the line need to be ran and serviced a certain way at certain mile caps like 500-1000 miles its suppose to be taken in and serviced and for the 1st 1500-2000 its not suppose to be hot dogged at all. i had a buddy that cooked a motor on a bike that had 10 miles on it from the show room floor, he got to about 350 miles on it before he had internal failing.

if the break in wasn't done correctly it could have lead to rapid engine wear?.

the only other thing is this looks like a heavily modified bike so a previous mechanic could have messes up some where on the internals or tired to reuse old gaskets while working on it. ive seen that done. it never ends well. but im with the others ive never seen a v2k have a full engine failure at that low miles. the only advice i would give is do a cost compare , new motor vs the rebuild . sometimes doing the rebuild is a more reliable way to go because it will give you the ease of mind that you know the guts are all new and you shouldn't have any issues.

Thanks buddy for the info, actually the bike is heavily customized, but engine was never touched, but the previous owner for almost 5 years was not taking care of the service as he used to ride it like 1 mile every two weeks, basically around his house, as for the parts, i have reached to a good deal with Kawasaki Japan and a descent discount so now most of the upper engine part will be totally renewed for about 3K$, please let me know what do you think

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#20 ·
i think the cheapest motor i seen for sale used was for about 2500 $ American. so for 3k and for it to be counted and zero miles after rebuild it seems like this would be a good way to go if you have the coin to spend on it, a lot of us are budget builder and have to pinch pennys where we can and cut what costs we are able. its a really sweet looking scoot you got there and would likely be worth the investment i imagine that your bike appraises for a pretty good amount of money past the normal retail. out of curiosity if you don't mind how much cash are you into the bike for?

#22 ·
Hi Man, the bike cost in total with customizations around 8K$, and now after the Engine rebuild it will cost me in total 11K$.
But as i have mentioned before, i count it as investment or a bike with Faulty Engine will be worth nothing.
Cheers

#25 ·
Hi Guys,

Sorry if i have been off for a while, wanted to share with you the updates, the bike finally came out of the workshop today,i haven't drove it really, as i am traveling and my bike is back home. Hopefully will drive it next Friday morning and will be sharing with you all the updates and Mods, and a full video for the engine after now its fully renewed and it sounds like a beauty.

#34 · (Edited)
@safir need your help bro, the bike now is in great condition thank god, it rides well and the engine is back as new but i can feel a good deal of vibrations in the bars, any suggestions? BTW the vibrations comes on low rpms even when the bike is standing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.