Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Impression of rear shock replacement?

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  budda109 
#1 ·
My wife is a big girl. She has the 2009 VN2000. Stock rear shock. I wanted to get her the Progressive 465. Was wondering what the differences she could expect? Was the upgrade worth it? Thanks

#2 ·
We ride two up on a fully kitted beastie. The factory unit bottomed out, no matter how hard we had it wound up and worst still po-go'd up and down like a rocking horse. The factory unit is under dampened so it's a constant battle at the rear end to smooth things out and maintain grip. The factory unit is pure junk, ditch it, burn it, bury it, drown it, crush it or kill it, but don't put up with it. Change to an after market unit, you won't regret the change.

We purchased a second hand Ohlins unit complete with RAPS. We had it rebuilt for our bike set up and two up riding. The difference is light and day over the factory rubbish. The bike performs as it should have done from the factory. It is now firmly planted to the road, better feel, more stability and sticks to the road, no bottoming and also reduces rear tyre wear due to the improve constant road contact. We used to get 3-5 thou/Km, now 8 thou/km plus on a rear tyre, all two up riding too. The shock allows the bike to follow the road contours so removes the harshness the factory junk exposed us to. We also raised the rear of the bike 1" at static stance so when aboard the bike sits neutrally as opposed to having the rear hanging low like the factory junk did, thus giving slightly better clearance in cornering.

Dialling in the rear shock takes time, so ya do need to faff about with the dampening a bit to get things right. Knowing how to read tyres is helpful if you don't have access to a qualified suspension technician.

Changing out the factory junk is one of the best mods we've done, we haven't looked back and allows us to get the most out of the bike. Have fun, cheers Andrew

Reactions: budda109
#4 ·
i have pretty much the same issue as a big boy im at the point where im starting to worry about doing damabe to teh frame from bottoming out over time. i was wondering what kind of cost we are looking at to do a shock replacement. ive seen some that are outrageous in price. upwards of 2 grand just for the shock its self.

#5 ·
Replacement options

Check everything yourself as well. But from what I have read Ohlins no longer makes a shock for the 2000. If I could find one used I would be all over it. That is the shock of choice IMO. But it also has a cost about double. Which brings me to my second choice. Progressive 465 and 465 with RAP. Standard 465 runs about 421.00. with RAP 634.00. If you are doing it yourself make sure the rear tire is off the ground makes it much easier. I ordered the one with RAP yesterday. Also both come 1" lower if wanted. I would stay away from the lower/shorter shock. You loose stroke which means the ride suffers. I know that's what she said! lol Good luck

#6 ·
Thanks a ton thats a lot more reasonable then what i have found im just scared ima end up damaging the frame with the way things are going. i already have some nice scar marks that i have to keep going under and touching up with some paint to make sure to not have any rust build up if i could get ride of the bottoming out it would be a god send.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.