Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

frame mount vs batwing fairing?

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  dvictorh 
#1 ·
So I'm finally to a point of wanting a fairing. The main problem is in Wyoming we get wind from every direction and it's not just a light breeze. The cross winds can be a real pain. My Question is what's everyone's experience with batwing fairings compared to frame mounted (obviously not on v2k's)? Jim Renda on the facebook group is fabbing a vaquero fairing to fit his v2k and I'm considering it if it'll cut cross winds and buffeting better than a batwing. Advice? I'm not afraid of fitting the frame mounted, it'll just take some more time and effort.

#2 ·
Years ago, I rode a KZ900 with a frame mount. Recently, I rode Belle with a batwing. Hands down, frame mount. Cross-winds didn't seem to affect the frame mount (long time ago, so may not remember fully) as bad. The batwing was nice, but the frame-mount has more "real estate" for storage and stuff.

I had my Quadzilla custom painted to match Belle, and added power and such. Thinking I may sell it and find a frame mount to try...

#3 ·
Hokey smokes! I hadn't even thought about wind when I considered a batwing! We get wind here in the desert quite a bit. In fact, it's so strong at my house, I refer to my neighborhood as "Windlandia." (You can see windmill farms from my front steps, if that tells you anything!) I'm now thinking a frame mount -- if I can figure it out -- would be better here than a batwing. More advice/observations, fellas?

Victor

#6 ·
Very very nice job! I will be studying those pics and picking your brain later this year when I get to Fairingland! Pretty much know I don't have the mod skills to do it all myself, but part of knowing that about oneself is knowing the right folks to call! And I think I do...

Victor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.