Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

project thread and face to a name

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  rocnrol 
#1 ·
well...i guess nows as good as any time to start up a project thread . ive had my v2k since 2012 and very slowly it has come together. the following at some photos of me and the bike as we have grown. so far the biggest upgrades ive done is the bars and some misc mechanical work. but over the winter i will be putting back in our shop for new paint and some upgrades. and i figured it was time to show my ugly mug. :laugh2: so ill update this over the next few months with progress as we are able to make it. doing a bike on a budget it always a task but it comes together piece by piece.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Very nice pictures!

You sound a bit like me.. had the bike for years, making small changes each year.. then did some big ones all at once.

I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures and reading more about the changes your doing :)

#7 ·
Thanks smed. yours and sarges bikes have been two motivators for me since i joined here. i think both of you guys have 2 of the slickest bikes ive seen posted. im looking at changing the rear fender up a bit with a new all in one light or perhaps trying to work the like in flush with the fender if i am able to. me and my buddy already built a honda furry paint and chromed to high hell so this is the next big project.

im looking to do a blue and black marble effect with the paint. ive seen some turn out really good and im hoping we can come close . doing the marble effect isnt all to hard really just have to make sure you get all the steps right. im also wanting to get some new bars these are the type that have the taper to a 7/8 from 1 inch in the center and its hard as hell to find risers that fit right. but i like the crook in the bars for a fairing i just need to find some 1 inchers that have the same look without breaking the bank lol.

#5 ·
Hey ramcharger have a couple of questions 1st off nice lookin bike the apes are a little high for me but they do look good.. my question is about your pipes are those slip ons ? and where did you get'em Ireally like the looks of them.
thanks for the info in advance,,,,dblD

#6 ·
they are the vance and hines power shots.
Vance & Hines Powershots Exhaust System - Motorcycle Superstore

they are not to bad. when you pull the baffles out they have pretty good sound. most people refuse to ride behind or on my right side lol. at some point im likely going to change them out i like them for the most part but they dont give me the deep base note i like. dont get me wrong they sound great. but i like a deep base sound to the throttle. i had a set of 3 inch hard chrome duels off my 1500 nomad that had the perfect sound 5-6 years back. doubt ill be able to get to that level gain but ima play with some things and see what i can come up with.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Nice ride. If you're looking for risers, HD risers can be used with some simple mods. Below is a link to the riser/bar mod that I did, as well as some other stuff that I wanted to share with others. Keep us posted on your progress....
* 1.25″ CHUBBY HANDLEBARS - Rod's_V2K_Drifter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
those are some nice write ups. will likely be useful down the line. thanks. id like to maintain the bars i have but they are the tapered from the 1 inch to the 7/8 i believe and every riser i ever tried i have had to grind out and fiddle with hell one set came apart while i was riding scared the crap out of me. try riding your bikes with out handle bars attached. you will leave some stains in your shorts. the risers are always just a hair to wide and end up clamping on the weld at the taper. so im looking at all options here in the future including replacing the bars for a full on thicker set instead of the taper design to fit smaller risers.

what id really like to find is a set of nomad mid to early 2000s hard bags to fit on it i think they would look good and i loved the old fold out style hard bags my old 04 nomad had. but they always seem to be stupidly over priced and damaged to boot. the "Edge" hard leather saddle bags are not bad but they are starting to show a bit of age and i always like the look of color matched hard bags over leather bags .

#10 ·
I am not sure on the Classic, but on the VN2000 A, big headlight, stock bars and risers are 1". I used HD risers to bump them up to 1.25". I still have a set of LA Chopper risers in 1.25" that I couldn't fit under the nacelle cover. Best of luck with your mods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

#12 ·
thanks for the info. im always nervous when it comes to drilling and cutting on the bike because that can lead to some expensive screw ups at times. its all easy enough but still nothing has been more annoying in the past then when i have had a slip up becasue i was slightly off on something. really jacked up a fender once and that has haunted me since lol.

once the brake down starts you will see some of the other projects we have worked on. we live in a smaller town but we are looking at starting up our own bike shop in the next 3-5 years. im working on brushing up my mechanical know how and my welding and my buddy is already a certified mechanic . he has a pretty mean honda furry he build and he also helped piece together his 2 bothers bikes. luckly during the winter we have down time to work on our own rides during the summer and spring we are normally working on about 4 bikes at a time with a waiting list out of his garage for friends and co-workers we have. figure after a couple years we will have the know how to confidently open a shop to hand most repairs and modifications and a client base built up to help support us.

#13 ·
I ran into the same problem with my 2012 900 Classic. I had these risers that I wanted to install

But in order to use a bolt that would fit the rizers thread size I would have to drill the triple tree holes bigger.
Then I ran across this

Which worked for me.

#15 ·
nice i might look into that. i swapped out from a set of risers like that the extra length hand a spring board effect on my bars and made them kinda of bounce i didnt like but thats when i had the stock bars. the bars i have right now are almost a inch too tall the clutch cables about 1/4 inch too short to run it normally so its ran behind my triple but it is rubbing a groove into my triple tree top plate. thats one of the other reasons i was looking try something new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.