Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Comfort accessories on my "new to me" 2008 V2k

7K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Breed 
#1 ·
So picked up a 2008 V2k last weekend, has 12,100 miles on it. Bike has Baron's 18" Ape Hangers, Baron's Big and Nasty pipes, and a Cobra fi2000 controller. Here's a couple of pics of when I picked it up.

I really liked the biked and enjoyed the test ride before buying in. However, on the ride home from Daytona to Ocala (about 60 miles) it was clear to me that although this is a very big bike, it was not made for large people. As you can see in the pics, I'm not a small fellow. I'm 6'3" and about 280lbs. No big deal as I had to modify and add parts to my old bike to make it comfortable as well. So first thing I did when I got home with the bike was to look up what parts to get. I ended up getting a backrest, show chrome 1.25" set of highway bars, pegs, and a throttle paddle. Got the parts yesterdy so I installed them last night. I also ordered a set of Viking Lamellar bags as well, but they haven't arrived yet.

Went on a little 15 minute ride right after it what a world of difference! Very comfortable to ride now, and I'll be able to prop my legs up and relax on long rides. Still would like to get an aftermarket seat with a backrest, but didn't want to throw down $600+ for a new one. Will probably keep my eye out for a used on to pop up locally or online.

See less See more
#2 ·
BJtron: welcome to bike nirvana, I am sure you'll enjoy that bike very much. I am also 6'1" and 240'ish so I get what you're saying, the long frame of the bike lend itself to customize for us larger/longer folks, got most of the accessories you mentioned as well and you'll find out this bike is very, very at home on the haighways but also easy enough to go on the twisties as well.
Congrat's and happy riddin'

#3 ·
It came as a bit of a surprise to me too, I'm 6'3" at 235 and it's lacking in leg room. I have the classic LT and the floorboards allow me to move my feet around a little, but using the heel toe shifter isn't easy as I have to move my left foot farther back than is comfortable. As long as I'm not wearing boots with a particularly tall toe box it's not a problem to keep my foot under the shifter, with the available torque on tap at any speed in any gear downshifting is purely elective except when coming to a complete stop. For me, my stock bars are just fine, I don't know if the LT has different bars or not but I have no plans on changing them.

#4 ·
Welcome to the V2K. I'm not as tall, but am in the 280's. Corbin Dual Tour seat will get you a little lower and further back. Jardine made forward controls, but are harder to find now adays. I'm in Inverness, ride up to Ocala from time to time. See you on the road!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Not very far away at all. I'm down in Inverness at the Courthouse from time to time for work. Saw your BOTM award, congrats! Also looked like you haven't been living down here in FL too long. Find any riding groups? I don't have any particular group, but do have a bunch of friends/family I'll ride out with time to time and go to the two big events in Daytona (Bike Week and Biketoberfest) and Leesburg Bikefest. Now with the V2K, I'll be looking to ride more often!

Reactions: V2K_Rod
#7 ·
I'm right there with ya.. a bit over 6'2 and in the 280's as well.

Some sort of highway pegs to extend the legs is needed. There are many variations.

And ditch the stock seat. I always compare it to a used pizza box..about as comfortable.

#10 ·
So after reading yall's posts about size and weight on the bikes. I have come to the only natural conclusion is that I'm not fat I'm too short.:grin2:

Reactions: March411
#12 ·
I've seen a couple of you guys running your highway pegs off the floor boards... HOW? Custom Brackets?

I've wanted to do Highway pegs also, but I'm not a big fan of the crash bar style (or adding the weight that comes with the crash bar).

Also... I'm in Fruitland Park FL... We need to get a Central FL meet going! :)

#16 ·
I'm all for paying for quality product, don't get me wrong.

"Pay for quality, or prepare to pay for quantity." - Some Smart Guy

BUT, as someone who likes to tinker and build stuff, I'd rather make something that's slightly adjustable or at least tailored to "me" as the rider and have the pride in knowing "I made that"... To me, that's what motorcycles are all about. Making it "YOURS"... not just bolting on a bunch of stuff that some dealer has on a shelf that anyone can buy. Some people, that's their thing, and more power to them.

Even since I joined this thread and starting looking at mounting points, and ergonomics of the machine, I have some ideas on how to improve the concept. Be on the look out for a new thread in the coming weeks once that project gets underway. Maybe I take a stab at a couple variations (very likely).

Smedlin, that ride is a thing of beauty! Not a surprise it got BOTY in 2012. (You're wife is damn fine as well!) Thanks for the various shots and angles. It gives me a great resource to work from.

#18 ·
Welcome to the ride.....
I'm around 200 and 5' 11", and even at that I had to put offset pegs on the crash bar to be comfortable.
Agree with the earlier post about the seat. Mine came with a Corbin w/ backrest, and the angle was jsut not right for me. My ass went numb after 1/2 an hour.
I switched up the mustang and have dome 10 hr rides with a leg stretch every hour and had no saddle-soreness at the end of the day.
Whether Corbin, Saddleman, or my personal fave the Mustang, it's money well spent to get the one that has the right angle and cushion for you. I had a Mustang on my previous bike, and as it turned out they fit just right for me.

This is a pic from when I still had the Corbin.....

Attachments

#19 ·
TrentonC, I'm the opposite. Had Mustang, went to Corbin. By the way, love the look of that Corbin on your bike. Always did like the separate rider and passenger version, but lucked out price wise on my dual tour...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Yeah, it is a sharp look, especially with that chrome ring on the backrest (Ooooh! Shiny!!) It's entirely possible that a refurbishment may have worked (I'm a firm believer that once a seat moulds to a rider's butt, no other butt sits right in it and it wasn't moulded by me)
But that slight difference in seating angle I think made the difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.