Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Euro Gears, going 4 it.

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  chanoc1077 
#1 ·
I finally order the gears, mainly need to extend the working range of first and 2nd gears. So I order the 48 & 44 theet and the 2 gaskets but I see comment about shims/washers, Do I need to order those????/ what specs??? Or should I wait and see how much play I have in there.

#2 ·
I'd wait. When I did mine, I didn't know about no stinking shims, so obviously that didn't get done. I never noticed any problem or noise that stood out.

Sounds like you're going to do it yourself? It's a fun job. Make sure not to lose the little spring loaded neutral sensor thingy. Euro Gears

Third pic down.

As I'm sure you've read by now, the frustrating part is getting the washer off the speed sensor. I went the route of chopping off about a 3/8" section of a 5mm allen wrench and sticking that in the bolt, then using a 5mm wrench to turn that. I ended up not needing to take the bolt all the way out. I had some narrow nosed cutters and was able to cut it out (it's just a cheap washer).

#3 ·
The shim stops the one gear from sliding on the shaft. Moves about an 1/8 of an inch. Shimming it stops that and any time you can tighten up a drive line it gets quieter and smoother
As to the speed sensor bolt. I followed the mighty poncho and drilled a hole on the bottom of the plasticky tray where the ecu lives. Used this opportunity to unplug all connectors and apply a light coat of dielectric grease to stop any corrosion
As to the gears. They make a noticeable difference and almost cure the speedo error. So now when the speedo says 190 it means it

#5 ·
They make a noticeable difference and almost cure the speedo error. So now when the speedo says 190 it means
it
I'm gonna have to put that 190 to the test :grin2::grin2:

I see a lot of guys make a big deal of the speedo error, once you know is there don't really makes a difference. is not like you would get a ticket for going 5 miles over the limit (does anybody go at or under the limit). Here I thought I was doing 85 mph and I was only doing 72-73, the goooood feeling was not necesarily tied to the number :laugh2::laugh2:.

As for the shims/washers, does anybody have the specs/size?? I would rather have them handy than have to stop drinking my beers to go to the store and get'em during the wrench-therapy session.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.