Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Kuryaken Hypercharger

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  VN Pilot 
#1 ·
Hello all,

New to the forum, have been reading the threads and enjoying them a lot. Many thanks to all contributors, there is tremendous knowledge and information there.

I have the Kuryaken Hypercharger installed by original owner on my bike 04 Vn2000, bought last November.

The butterfly valve rattles at idle and when riding different speeds, any suggestion on how to remedy this annoying sound.

Thanks in advance.:smile2:

#3 ·
Two options here. There is or should be an adjustment screw to control tension on the butterfly. Because this engine is a giant air pump there are very strong vacuum pulses at idle. They will cause the butterfly to pulse
Other option is to disconnect and block the bacumn line and block the butterfly wide open permanently
Course the third option is don't idle and learn to love it

#6 ·
Thanks for the help riders, it seems I have got work to do.

While I like the looks for the Hypercharger, I would prefer to go back stock, this things keeps bumping my knees while riding, and I cannot compare for performance as I bought the bike used with this thing installed. I asked the ex-owner its purpose and he said more horsepower.

He also installed PC commander under the seat and the Corbin 2 into one pipe. Luckily he gave most of the stock parts, I bought few from EBAY and plan to go back fully stock. I don't care for the looks and sound of the current pipes or the other upgrades that he has put into it.

In case you are interested: It is 2004 VN2000 with 7100 miles on the clock, first owner very clean bike never been dropped and I paid $5000 for it.

#11 · (Edited)
While I like the looks for the Hypercharger, I would prefer to go back stock, this things keeps bumping my knees while riding, and I cannot compare for performance as I bought the bike used with this thing installed. I asked the ex-owner its purpose and he said more horsepower.
I am no expert but I believe the aftermarket air really does help the engine breath a lot easier, most are on the bulky side and come out way too much, trade looks for rider comfort. The only one I've seen that is really narrow and wont bump your knees is the Baron's Big Air Kit (BAK), it is even lower profile than stock. Whit the right cover it can look very good also.

He also installed PC commander under the seat and the Corbin 2 into one pipe. Luckily he gave most of the stock parts, I bought few from EBAY and plan to go back fully stock. I don't care for the looks and sound of the current pipes or the other upgrades that he has put into it.
Pipes also can help in having the engine work easier but most people get them to get a certain sound or look (or both). As for the fuel controller, following advice from our more experience friends at this forum, my beast also had one from the PO, took it off line and conclded I don't need it. Unless you want a cretain performance effect, you'll just be wasting more gas. That's one for hard riders.

Guess what I sayin' is I would keep or change the air kit (not go back to stock) and remove the rest untill you got yur beast to yur likin'.

#8 ·
Be aware the 2004 had 2 issues.

1) the bike originally had a single bearing hub on the rear wheel. Half way thru 2005, they changed it to a double bearing hub. You will want to check to see if yours has been upgraded.

2) They had used the wrong type of grease/lube on the front sprocket. It caused some of them to have issues. You will want to make sure your is using the correct stuff (forget what it's called). It's really easy to do btw.

(nothing on this bike is difficult to work with.. I've several times had it stripped down to just the engine and frame...)

#9 ·
Thanks Smedlin for your advice, I will look into both things you mentioned.

I am no mechanic but can do a lot of things, in your opinion, do I need to replace the single bearing with double or just watch it till it shows signs of failure then replace. Any modifications required to house the double bearing or it will silde in?

#13 ·
Just a quick question: Is the hypercharger all for show or is it a valid performance improvement? My bike came with one from the PO, and although I have no qualms about it, I'd look at upgrading to a BAK down the road.

#14 ·
There was some independent test done on it several years ago. I forget by who. A search of the web may find it.

Anyways, the testing showed it didn't really suck in air very well.

Most people go with the BAK.

If I had to do it over, I'd go with the BAK also (it wasn't available for the V2K in the wee early days...). I went with the Tornado (also from Barons).

#15 ·
Hmm...I wonder if that's why I get that damnable FI light....
I posted about it before, it only shows up when it's hot out. A ride in the AM on a cool day one way is fine, but if the air is hot on the way back it pops on. Doesn't affect anything and I have not been able to get a code no matter how I try. Cycling the ignition off and on makes it go away so pehaps she's starving just enough for air to set it off......
I plan on sea-foaming the system as soon as I can ride to see if it improves it.

#18 ·
OK, thanx. I will if I decide to upgrade to the BAK. Might be a bit though. With the Canadian $ sucking @$$ and the local economy in the toilet, this is definitely a budget year for bike projects........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.