Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

advice asap if possible

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  greyhairhoon 
#1 ·
sorry if this is brief. ive been up for 25 hours with work and training and a lot of personal family and home problems. i need to toss this out here to see if i can get some feed back please.

so the bike is a 2007 vulcan v2k classic lt. it has a little over 33k miles on it. here is what it is doing.

a while back it got slightly over filled with oil from what i gathered. it was blowing some oil out of the air filter i was told that it was ok for the time being and that it would stop once it leveled its self out. which it did stop.

shortly there after it developed a bit of a back fire and a surging issue when i leveled out my speed and held the throttle at a speed. traced some issues to vacuum leaks and seemed to solve most of the issue.

from time to time there was a tapping sound and after listening to it and it kept disappearing i ruled it to be somthing like the cold air silonoid popping which from what i under stand is kind of normal for these bikes.

this morning it was about 45 degs when i went to work and it was doing that tapping sound and i banked on it just being cold. this afternoon i noticed it was about 88 degs and nice and it was a lot louder and sounded like the tapping and knocking was coming from the top of the rear cylinder. it seems like i have a slight loss in power too and the knocking gets worse with the RPMs and when i pull the clutch you can hear it pretty clearly (my bikes also a bit on the louder side so it might be masking it while im riding)

a few questions i have is
1. how or is there a link/ walk though on how to do a valve adjustment on these bikes? i havnt been able to find much of any thing searching the web.
2. what all could be the cause of this? i dont want to completely blow the motor

ive been trying to check the oil but instead of the stick being soaking in oil all ive been able to get is a few drops that read higher up on the stick i warm the motor clean the dip stick and put it back in (screwed down) then stand the bike up and remove it to read it. im fairly sure this was the correct way to read the oil in these. i did try to add a qt. of oil to it to see if it helped but after a minute or 2 it didnt seem to help the noise any and i still had issues getting a good reading on the dip stick ( i never can trust the reading on it).

any advice will do. i need to go to bed so i can head into work tonight so ill check back in the morning to see what you guys. think. thanks for any help you guys can give the bikes my only transport right now so i need to try to fix this as soon as i can pin point the issue.

See less See more
#3 ·
Oh man... this is almost identical to what's happened to my engine, you have about the same milage too. It was a cooler morning when the wife and I went for a trip to see the kids and grand kids when about half way there, it started rattling really bad, my bike is loud too, and my wife could hear it on the road at speed over the noise of the two bikes.

I'm fairly confident that one or more of the HLA's collapsed that day. We were about 10 min out of the next town and needed gas anyway, so we stopped and after the fill up I pissed around with it for awhile, and for the most part it quited down, but was still ticking. I ended up leaving it there and getting it that night. I plan on changing all 8 of the HLA'S along with two new intake rocker shafts with the drill modification come spring, then put it up for sale.

#4 ·
Hello, your problem is the hydraulic valve lifters I would think, they are non adjustable, there is lots written on this subject. Look at above STICKY called "Fixing the ticking engine" it will tell you just about everything.

For your oil level, you must check it exactly as per book to get correct level, like this,

Are you checking the oil the correct way?
If you do it the normal old way we are all used to, you will be always topping it up and it ends up incredibly over full. That means, if you go out in the morning and pull out the dipstick, before starting, it will always be way low on oil, and if you top it up, it will be overfull, and the cycle continues.
You have to level the bike, start motor and let idle till motor is warm, turn motor off, check oil level within a minute or so. And make sure you screw the dipstick all the way in/down, or you get another to low reading.

Reactions: Romans5.8
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.