Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

battery tender

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  pharus 
#1 ·
I have the end of the battery tender tucked in my side cover for easy access, and I just ordered a EKLIPES EK1-110 Chrome Cobra Ultimate Motorcycle USB Charging System.my question is can I hook it up to the 2 prong tender wire that's already there on my bike.and next question is ....can you use the USB charger as a battery tender for winter storage? Thank you

#2 ·
I have a battery tender on mine. I also have a USB pig tail. I plug the phone in and throw it in the saddle bag. I'm not experienced with the winter storage thing. We only have one day of too cold weather here. But I would guess if it is going to be parked for along time just unplug the USB and plug in the charger.

#5 · (Edited)
I didn't understand that at first either, but I suspect the question is can you backfeed any of the USB charger connections with the Tender instead of using the separate Tender connector.

Probably could through the cig lighter accy port, or I'd think for sure through the SAE or BMW connector.

A USB connector itself wouldn't work because they're 5V operation.

#6 ·
I'm sorry I should of explained that better,I mentioned after my EKLIPES EK1-110 Chrome Cobra Ultimate Motorcycle USB Charging System
Is hooked up there will be the USB and next to the USB there is the cigarette lighter looking plug.so I didn't know if you could hook up the tender to that or do I have to go straight to the battery

#7 ·
I suppose that would work. However I'm not sure I would take the risk. It takes about 3 min for me to take the seat off, unplug the eklipse and plug in my tender. Of course I only use my tender in the winter. If you use it every day I could see why you might want to do this.

#8 ·
On my old bike, an Intruder, I had the Eklipse usb/lighter port connected to a battery tender feed from the battery. So when I needed to charge the battery, I just disconnected the usb from where it connected to the battery tender feed. Worked fine.

On my Nomad, I have the Eklipse wiring kit left over from the Intruder that connects directly onto the battery, and has two ports coming out. One is the sae two-wire battery tender type connection. The other is a smallish round connector - like a mini cigarette lighter. That can be used to jump start. So I bought an Eklipse kit that has a wire with two female ends, that connect into that mini lighter port. If another biker had a similar mini lighter port, I could give or receive a jump using just my extension cable. If I need a to give or receive a jump when the other vehicle did not have one of these ports, then my new kit also came with a wire with two small clamps that could be connected directly to another battery.

Haven't had to use it, bought it after I had a dead battery from leaving the key on, and had to get a jump using regular jumper cables from a truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.