Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Accerleration retarded

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  whoaru99 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Experiencing poor acceleration - running too lean. Installed Baron Big Air Kit (BAR). Not getting enough gas? Might be heat sensor (can these be tested?). Any mechanics experienced with VN2000 in WNY, NW PA?

Thanks, Matt

#2 ·
Hi all, Experiencing poor acceleration - running too lean. Installed Baron Big Air Kit (BAR). Not getting enough gas? Might be heat sensor (can these be tested?). Any mechanics experienced with VN2000 Thanks, Matt
matters, is that ALL youv done so far is change the air filter box?

pull the front plug and post a picture of it here. it will tell a story.
how many miles? whats yor gas mileage? has it changed any?
like a doctor who ask a lot of questions trying to find out what you f'd up. the more details you spell out, the more we can see how bad you skrewd the pooch, so we can tell you how to fix it. poncho

#3 ·
The problem specifically is that at times it takes 5-6 seconds to get up to cruising speed of 75+mph. It might take 3-4 seconds to go from 60-80. When this happens the bike is loud and acts like it is choking out (fuel injected). When it runs well, it is smooth relatively quiet and very responsive.

I bought the 2007 bike (VN2000) new from a dealer in 2010. I've had it on 3 - 5,000+ mile trips. It has 28k miles. The problem is intermittent and appears to be heat related, but not sure. I've had it serviced per the manufacturer schedule and did the major service at 18k miles (book calls this to be done at 25k miles). I am NOT a mechanic. So what I am looking for is possible things to look at - none of the mechanics (incl. dealers) have any experience with this bike and have not real mechanical analytical skills (read the book, change the oil ....).

Any possible areas to look into would be great.

#4 ·
run some seafoam or other injector cleaner in a new tank of fuel.
see if they mite be hangin up ya. simple if it solves it.

#6 ·
I would go for a Power Commander and a manual run-in . Takes some time, worth the money.
A K&N style filter alone will give you next to nothing in extra power. Dont believe the the bull from Baron, you will only get some more intake noise.
AND! Do you know, you are letting in more dirt with that filter?
And no matter, what you will hear, YES YOU ARE.

#7 ·
Sounds similar to what I'm seeing with my 05. Intermittent loss of power at high rpm. I have K&N filter, Power commander, Hard Krome 3" pipes, and it was dynoed when the pc was put on. I thought I had lost my map so tried getting one from the interweb (closest I could find was with the big baron air kit) but it didn't solve it. Now I'm wondering if my pc has crapped out, so we're going to unplug it for a bit and see how it runs. Any other suggestions? Throttle sensor??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.