Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

New to Me...coming soon

9K views 66 replies 11 participants last post by  claytonbakerjr 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,
Recently a friend of mine acquired a 2005 VN2000A with 35000 miles on it. He used to own a 2007 1600 Nomad and through some talking he mentioned he was in the market again to TRADE for another Nomad using his VN2000.
He has bad knees and the VN2000 is a bit top heavy for him to lug around.
I mentioned to him I have always like the VN2000 bikes and I would be interested since I own a 2008 1600 Nomad with 49000 miles.
Well we made arrangements to meet up and take each others bike for a ride...
At the end he said I want your bike....
After riding his bike and looking it over very well I agreed and we are now moving forward to get the titles changed over.
So...his bike seems to run great, plenty of power, nice shifting, no obvious noises, nothing that I can see, hear or feel.
That being said...
Is there anything I should know about the VN2000 that would make me turn tail and run? I know the Nomads had their subtle little things like Cam Chain extenders, water pump issues ect...so what about the VN2000?

I have a few additional questions if you do not mind.
Handle Bars...I found myself reaching a little more than I liked and since the headlight housing basically covers the risers I see no options for larger risers so I assume to fix this reach thing I would need to look at a set of handlebars? I see myself needing at least 2 to 3 inches moved more towards me and maybe 2 inches of height. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Fog/Running lights...I equipped the Nomad with a set of 55 watt running lights for which I opted to changed the bulbs to 35 watts to avoid the bright lighter cagers, looking again at this headlight can someone point me to a mounting solution that will work? Or what ever the masses here suggest?
Lifting the Bike...With the Nomad I had to use a special attachment made by a guy over a VulcanBagger to lift the Nomad, so do I need such an attachment for the VN2000? Suggestions?

Once I get the bike I am going to pretty much tear into her to see things at a closer level but like I have mentioned, no obvious signs of abuse, leaks or rattles..nothing more than a nice smooth sounding engine and the tranny seems to be very SOLID...so solid I actually had to push to shift whereas with the Nomad it almost falls into gear. But there was no clunking or gnashing like the Nomad 1 to 2 shift...
Anyway thanks for the time and please be as honest as you can be.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
V2k

Is there anything I should know about the VN2000 that would make me turn tail and run? I know the Nomads had their subtle little things like Cam Chain extenders, water pump issues ect...so what about the VN2000?
What year is the V2K? The early models had a recall on the drive pulley due to potential spline damage, according to what I've read here. 2004 maybe 2005? If it's an early model also search for the "resistor mod". My 2008 has been great, although it has developed a small coolant leak under the tank. A couple of drops each time out. Gotta pull the tank. Keep us posted, looks like a clean bike, I like the color.

#4 ·
Congratulations! I would love to get my hands on a 2000 one day. That is probably my next step in a few years. But right now, I'm happy with my current ride.. :)

eGo

#5 ·
Not sure if the recall was for the 2005 model. If the repair was done, there may be a punch mark after your VIN. You can call Ma Kaw to check also. They used the wrong lube.

Not sure about your headlight questions, such as fitting risers. A good approach is to search for "2005 Vulcan 2000 parts" and go from there. They are getting more scarce, but still options out there for most stuff. Maybe somebody else with that headlight config can chime in.

Getting to know the V2K has been a pleasure.

#7 ·
So on this spline issue...
Once I get the VIN I will call Ma Kaw to check.
Does anyone have info pertaining to what the fix is
if you do not have a failure?
What I have read it involves just adding lubrication to the area?

#8 ·
Recall on the kawasaki site, free fix. Rattle from the headlight, add some foam. Heavy off the stand, 06 and up moved the kickstand forward. Spotlamps National Cycle N945 work well. Fun to do, Eurogears (like adding a 6th gear), redistor mod, gives it more kick. Handlebar options, bigger bars in aftermarket, I used Yamaha Roadliner bars with HD risers.
Cool sites to reference :
This one
Www.vn2000.com
Www.focusontheride.com
Www.RodsCustomRides.com
Facebook

Enjoy the new bike!

#10 ·
Rod
Is that your site at the bottom?

Recall on the kawasaki site, free fix. Rattle from the headlight, add some foam. Heavy off the stand, 06 and up moved the kickstand forward. Spotlamps National Cycle N945 work well. Fun to do, Eurogears (like adding a 6th gear), redistor mod, gives it more kick. Handlebar options, bigger bars in aftermarket, I used Yamaha Roadliner bars with HD risers.
Cool sites to reference :
This one
Welcome to Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Tips, Tricks and Useful Ideas
Focus On The Ride | Photo blog of a Goldwing rider
Rod's Custom Rides | Motorcycle Accessories, Upgrades, and Customization
Facebook

Enjoy the new bike!

#14 ·
Anyway thanks for the time and please be as honest as you can be.
cbj,, its not surprising that this model bike is now 6yrs out of production and is still a strong favorite among the hardy few that can handle a Real Motor bike.. there is nothing to fear, just enjoy it for watt it is. the biggest baddest most impressive motor kawabunger ever made. too bad they didn't have the brains to stik this motor in another chassis. it would have been an instant classic and top seller.. so get yors while you can, ther are only a limited number in circulation till there are no more. poncho

#15 ·
Ponch
I totally agree with you on this.
I have been a Fan of the Y2K for many years with it's impressive power train.
All of the models made are very good looking bikes.
Your right, they should have not removed this motor from their lineup.
Its been a heavy contender for many years long before the "big boys" stepped
up their motors, and even still this setup still offers as much or more.
I cannot wait until I take ownership of it.
I'm one of those that like to take things apart and put them back together
just to see what makes things tick.
I foresee some additional customizations in the future, fairing, hard bags...bling :)
Oh the joy of motorcycles :)

#16 ·
Druggs. Moto sickles are druggs. Ther is no 12 stepp program. Ther is wrench therapy tho. and:beer: for medication. Butt once you get infected you are doomed. You gott to get yor daily fix of riding that white horse. or risk the shakes and blakout lost time can't account for yor where you been or did. Best get 2 bikes. One to ride while you wrench the otter. It's like havin 2 girlfriends. Living large and dangerous.ponchout

#18 ·
The V2K is a collector item now. They are going to be harder to come by in a few years. My next bike will be a V2K or a Victory, and I'll only get the Victory if I can't find a V2K when I'm ready to buy. And I agree, MawKaw should have never stopped production on the V2K. I'd take a V2K over any Hardley, any day. Well unless it was a pre 1950 Hardley. But that's another story for another day :)

#19 ·
A fellow rider just traded his 06 V2K in on a Road King. He was a smaller guy and wanted a Harley. He's in Sturgis now but Red River HD has a V2K for sale now.

#20 ·
Well at this point I have the VN2000 at home with me.
So far I am loving the bike.
Buddy I'm trading with is very happy with Nomad so I suppose it's time to make it mine.
One question and so far it is the only thing I have found I wish was better...why is the rear brake feel like a 2x4?
I mean I really have to STEP on it to get braking where as the Nomad was pretty self sufficient.

#23 ·
I am on my second one. Like this one tbest. It's an Altimax HP 205/60 16. Currently at 40psi. My other one was a Cooper Zeon II 205/55 16. The wider the tire the harder to steer, countersteer. I stayed as close to stock as possible. I cannot tell any difference myself between CT and bike tire, but I did a lot of research.

#26 ·
Well figured I would post a pic of her.
I had her apart here and there covers off seats off and as I was meandering
around in and around her I was also pre-planning and additional fuse box
for accessories and such.
About the only place I feel I could really stick one would be directly under the seat
on top of the battery cover?
I really do not want to use the tool kit box since at some point I may
put a fuel processor there.
For those with an add on fuse box, where did you guys place yours?
Well anyway...here she is. I've not got a name for her yet but working on it.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.