Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

progresion

13K views 89 replies 19 participants last post by  Silencer69 
#1 ·
well, the bike is slowly getting to where I would like it, added a few more items this spring: HD style lowers, floor board mounted hiway pegs, new grips and chrome wide style leavers.

the FLH fender project has hit a snag after finding out I cant use a 130/90-16 tire on the front, so looking into some different things for that, and still want to do either HD hard bags or some Road King classic leather bags:D

enjoy,

See less See more
#8 ·
I did! :) I found the lights at a bike store one day and thought that they were awesome! Not like the normal aux lights, so I had to buy them, and then make the brackets, lol. At 55w they are great, driving at night is no issue with those on ;)

#6 ·
Seems like it would just be easier to go buy a Hardley than to replace everything on the V2K with Hardly parts.
tru, tru,, butt then U'd be stuk with a hardley or even worse surrounded by hardly'ers.:skeleton:

Reactions: eg78
#12 · (Edited)
rocky, good to read you have wider vision. many dont. ther is so much more better product available w/o buying into the country club,, er hd klub status. many seem to think its a top shelf product because of the price tag and so many otter lemmings go that direction. truth is its nothing more than sixteen layers of gorgeous paint and krome on nineteen fifty farm grade rust iron.. yes they are beautiful to behold. too many horror stories are wedded to that image. both personally and relational, i have plenty first hand accounts of disaster at the ready. you should not have to lay out that kind of really serious coin and get third grade product, just to wear a badge and be counted among a group of most conceited snobbs. you mite just as well go play golf at yor all white country club. poncho
ps. the older ***** tribes dont fare any better. just they gott better iron.

#13 ·
Bike is looking good. For lowers, check here. I will be ordering a set of these.

#14 ·
Ponch, the only Harley I'm interested in getting at this point is the one that got away from me as a young man, a '92 heritage. I was trying to buy it while I was posted in Germany and because of some semantics of the loan I wasent able to get, I wanted it so bad :(

But I always say that if I were to go drop over 20 large on a bike tomorrow, it would be from off the reservation .

Those lowers are definitely cool!

#16 ·
I don't think anyone makes a better looking bike than the new Indian Chieftain.

The sole exception is it's dashboard, which is eerily, horrifically reminiscent of those el-cheap-o korean bikes from Hyosung.

Indian Chieftan:

Hyosung:

Seriously. The lines in the plastic, cheap plastic chrome. I was so excited to test ride one and I looked at the dash and thought "What, they run out of time when it came to designing the dash?"

It was a SWEET ride though (minus the throttle lag).

I REALLY hope Indian brings the rest of the world into the 21st century. Electrically adjustable windshields, bluetooth, key fob for start, etc. Those shouldn't just be features of sport-touring motorcycles. Full-faired V-Twins shouldn't be left in the dust tech-wise!

#17 ·
Think I'm gonna replace the V2K with one of them goldwings cos they so darn good lookin.......................................................................heck NO!

man I must stop drinkin before noon. As you were.........V2K all the way. :)

Ando

Reactions: Steveb2
#19 ·
Lots going on with the bike these days. Since I last posted on here, I added the harley hard bags, project's for the winter, fix the engine, change the front wheel, get the FLH fender mod done, and add 16" apes.

Got all the parts now 'cept for the engine parts.

Attachments

#22 ·
Rocnrol,
Cannot speak for your particular wheel. The caliper issues, from what I now know are as follows:
1. The HD wheel places the rotors a few millimeters wider than Kawasaki. You may have to file down, mill down, the caliper mounts on the forks in order to get the stock calipers to align with the HD rotors.
2. A fellow FB group member did the HD mod to his 1700 Nomad using a 19" wheel. The bolts on the rotors, for his wheel, are spaced out wider than the 18" wheels. This caused the bolts to hit the calipers once mounted. He had to shave some metal off his calipers to allow the wheel to turn. You can find his write up on Vulcanbaggers.com.

Best of luck on your conversion and keep us posted.

#28 ·
Stripped the bike down even more tonight. Almost don't recognize it any more.

I'm taking the original wheel and spacers and the new wheel to a machine shop this weekend to get the new wheel machined to the specs of the factory one (overall rotor width) and get the spacers machined to the right size.

One thing about this project, it's sure introducing me to a lot of things I have never done to a bike before, like removing the front wheel, tonight was a first. So it's a good thing for sure.

Once the new tire/wheel combo is back in, it's engine time. Get that dam tic taking care of.

#29 · (Edited)
Rocnrol,
Hope the project is going smoothly. A FaceBook VN2000 group member, Dereck Meigs, just completed the HD wheel treatment with a 19 incher, looks good. He used bronze spacers and only had to shave the left fork leg caliper mount minimally. Thought I'd share it with.

Attachments

#30 ·
Very cool, thanks for that! So he only adjusted for one of the calipers? I can see that. I was test fitting the wheel last night, and I put one of the caliper on and then set the other one on the rotor, and layed it against the mount to see how much it was out. I was pretty close. My thoughts were to not wreck the bike for going back to stock though, so that's why I'm machining the wheel instead.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.