Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

anyone tried car tires on their vn2000 yet?

60K views 146 replies 59 participants last post by  Tim M 
#1 ·
I am thinking of changing out the rear tire on my vn2000 with a sport car tire size 205/60/16. A friend of mine has done this already with his honda rune and is really happy with the results. any opinions are very appreciated

thanks, phil

#2 ·
Our first "Darkside" thread, lol! I honestly don't have a "hands-on" opinion, I've seen some do it with great success, while others hated it. If it works for you and your riding style, then go for it, but, do your research, all car tires are not created equally. The 2 most popular are the Kelly Fuzion 205/60 - ZR16 and the Goodyear Triple Tread in 225/55 - 16.

#3 ·
SIde by Side

Here is a 240 Metz next to a Nitto 225/50. I bought the Metz on sale for just under 200.00 delivered, and got the Nitto for 28.00 plus shipping on Ebay. They say the life of the Metz will be 5000-8000 miles and the Nitto 20,000 +. I have the Metz on now. Will have to wait and see about the Nitto.

Mag44Laf

Attachments

#5 ·
Another popular car tire is the Cooper Zeon 2XS 205/55ZR16. It is a high performance summer tire that has more rounded edges than some of the other ones guys are using. Stay away from the all seasons because they tend to be squishier than the performance tires with stiffer sidewalls. Most guys that have tried several different sizes, say that the wider they are, the more they follow ruts and grooves. I personally will be getting a 205, and not any wider.

I have seen the Coopers ridden real hard, with no ill effects. I ride fairly aggressive myself, and will be getting the Cooper Zeon 2XS 205/55ZR16 as soon as my stocker is worn out, which will probably be another 2K.

I would already have one but, exactly one month from the day I picked up my new V2K, I hurt my back at work. I only got 3700 miles in during that month.:(

Things are looking better with my back, so as soon as I get my new pipes, TFI, and Thunder air kit installed, I'll be back in the saddle again!!!:D

#6 ·
I ran a car tire on my honda Valkyrie for quite some time and I did not really like it. The tire deflects when you lean contrary to the belief that it rolls up on the edge. This deflection it always trying to correct itself and right the bike, so it takes more steering input to hold the bike in the leaned over position. (no big deal right?)

Second; it "bump steers" on a road with ruts, when one side of the tire is risen or lowered it deflects the direction of the bike because the tire tries to remain flat and also the center line is shifted. All motorcycles do this but to a much lesser degree when fitted with a MC tire.
Third; The back of the bike 'lifts' when leaned over.
The rear tire must! follow the front (no exceptions here). The tire has no taper (meaning no slope form the center to the sides) so the centering of the bike must shift up toward the high side because even though they deflect it is not enough to prevent this. Making S turns you can feel the back shifting up first in one direction then the other. This is a very weird sensation!! I would bet the front tire wear is increased because of the extra pressure on the handlebar needed to maintain a leaned over position (the more lean the more pressure).
Other than cost and greater tire life I see no advantage to running a car tire. Some people claim better stopping in the rain? I don't see this myself, looks like more of a hydroplane issue to me.
And finally!!!
This is a modification that would never be authorized by any knowledgeable/reputable source. The significance of this is your insurance company may deny your claim because you modified your motorcycle in such a way that it is deemed unsafe. So check with them. (Ask me how I know this if interested)

P.S. I would have liked to run a car tire if at all possible.:)

#10 ·
Nice atricle

I'm not saying it wont' work. I am saying from personal experience with a car tire on the back of an 04 VN2000 I was able to consitently break traction in a corner that would not have happened with a stock bike tire. Maybe it is riding style or bike style or tire style but to me there was a loss.

#11 ·
Its all wrong .. the profile is wrong .. the compounds are wrong .. the only reason for a tyre like that is is to go in a straight line .. if thats what you want build a drag bike and put a slick on it,,,

#13 · (Edited)
I just put a 225/60/16 on my 07 vn 2000 and had no trouble with the fit, however I believe a narrower (205) may have a little better feel when cornering. I haven't put many miles on it yet, but so far so good!
Check sizing info here
http://darkside.nwff.info/database.php
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Auto part

#14 ·
I just put a 225/60/16 on my 07 vn 2000 and had no trouble with the fit, however I believe a narrower (205) may have a little better feel when cornering. I haven't put many miles on it yet, but so far so good!
Check sizing info here
http://darkside.nwff.info/database.php

5000 miles, handles great, I will never go back the a motorcycle tire on my Vulcan, it's a goodyear Assurance tripple tread 205/60-16, I run it at 36 psi.
Mrfix

#17 ·
Darkside!

I bought my bike used, it had a 200 Metz on it that was showing some wear. I really like the handling of the bike, pretty nimble for such a big machine. I wanted to try the 240 Metz. Really fill out that fat rear fender. About the time I ordered the 240 Metz, I found a 225 50 16 Nitto radial on Ebay for 28.00 plus shipping. The guy had a one off in his warehouse and usually sold tires in sets or pairs. So, I bought it. I went with the 240 Metz first, it turned out to be a 6000 mile tire, and expensive. I had the Nitto installed yesterday. Really comfortable straight line ride. A little different in the turns, but the 240 Metz was different from the 200 Metz. I would rate the 200 Metz as the best overall handling tire of the three. I liked the looks of the 240 Metz the best! The 225 50 16 has the smoothest ride. Tire pressure has a big impact on how this tire handles. They had 45 psi in it when I picked it up. I could hardly steer the thing. When I got home I checked the tire pressure, and immediately adjusted it. Now it corners well, and rides like a dream.

Attachments

#18 ·
Glad to hear your liking it so far

#22 ·
Video

Okay on 9/15/09 I went to the dark side, using the Goodyear TT 205/60/15 but I found all kinds of pictures on the web of the tire but what did it look like when I was riding? Had a friend ride behind me to tell me what he was seeing but that is not what I wanted so... if you want to see a car tire on the Vulcan 2000 take a look. I will be doing some more videos but it is winter in Colorado and as you can see from this video there is snow on the ground not on the road just on the ground so the road I want to video might be a few months before I get to ride that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5rVi7lXgbg

Let me know if there is something you want to see, yes grinding the floorboard is on the list.

Boat drinks

#24 ·
I have a Pirelli Route 66 on the front at 40 psi. Not impressive mileage, ok tire though. I am looking now for a replacment. I am thinking a better tire may not last any longer than a standard brand. Anybody have recommendations?

I am running 30 psi in the car tire, and may try additional 5 psi for two up this weekend.

#25 ·
Thanks for the video. It kind of answered 1 question I have had about car tires on the back.
The other more important questions I have are how does it feel?
What is the difference in the handling if any. Can you tell a difference and if so how?

#26 ·
To feel or not to feel...

As for the front tire I run the Dunlop version for the bike and I can get at least 12-15K out of it but I averaged fewer than 8K on the rear tire. I run the front at 38-40.

It is a feel that is hard to put into words but if you run your tire to a flat spot it is a similar feel. The big difference is if you have the tire with too much air it sucks and the same if you have it under inflated and I'm talking a pound or two you can tell. It is not for everyone!!! I have ridden over 24 years on dirt and some street (enduro) but this is my first "street bike" yeah I know you went with a VN2000 as your first street bike well I did and I'm so glad I did as I would have changed bikes by now if I got something under powered.

Okay back to the feel, because of my dirt riding I don't mind if the bike moves around I don't think I'm going to crash and I go with it and with a car tire you better tell yourself the bike will "move you". I rode today (34 degrees) and it was fine but I road to downtown Denver and the road can be very uneven with dips in the road and very un-even so when you hit one the bike will shift on you. Don't get me wrong on a MC tire you get the same feel but with a CT you can double it and at slow speeds it can even be more of a shift.

So you think I went to a CT to save money (about 20%), the real reason is I like to ride and have over 27,000 miles in 2 1/2 years and I want to do more, so you want to go for a bun burner or a saddle sore ride you are not sure if the tire is going to make it and because I only averaged 8,000 miles I sure didn't want to change it early so I found myself putting off rides to run the tire down so I could change the tire out before a long ride (about 70%), then there is the unknown and the just because factor (10%). That is why I went to a CT.

When you find the right air pressure the tire will feel better than a MC tire on smooth roads, highway, grooved roads, and riding 2up. It is like anything else if I ride my KLX300 down the road (it is plated) after riding my Vulcan it is a big change and it takes some time to switch. If you try a CT don't think you are going to feel comfortable for 500 miles and with that said if you are riding from the house to the bar, next bar, and yet another bar and then back home and put on a couple thousand miles a year don't even think about a CT stay with the MC tire and with any luck you will make it home.

If there are any Vulcan 2000 owners in the Denver area or will be passing though I would be willing to let you try it in the parking lot and see what you think and if you have a lot of miles on your Vulcan you would be fine taking out for a spin. This offer is only for VN2000 riders.

Heck I'm not sure if that even helps but if you want more insight or more rambling let me know.

Boat drinks,
Mike

#121 ·
Guess I'm trying to bring this back from the dead. Had a question. I live in Colorado as well and was wondering where you got the CT mounted?
you might get some odd looks but most tire shows up around my neck of the woods in kansas will mount it for you. in the past before i had the tools i would pull the rim off the bike and take it with the tire to a shop and they would mount it for like 25 bucks for me. me and a friend now do repairs regularly out of his shop on bikes all the time and tire changes are the biggest thing we tend to do , that and carb rejets. changing the tires your self is not all too hard.

#122 ·
you might get some odd looks but most tire shows up around my neck of the woods in kansas will mount it for you. in the past before i had the tools i would pull the rim off the bike and take it with the tire to a shop and they would mount it for like 25 bucks for me. me and a friend now do repairs regularly out of his shop on bikes all the time and tire changes are the biggest thing we tend to do , that and carb rejets. changing the tires your self is not all too hard.
Thanks for the info ramcharger. I have the equipment to pull the wheels off of bikes, so when it comes time ill just bring them to a tire shop. Looking forward to strange looks from the local Discount Tire when i bring them in. Will they balance the wheel there or should i go with tire beads?

#27 · (Edited)
Not my Cruser

The quality didn't come out as much as I would have liked. At least it is a Kawasaki, it still is a fun bike to ride street or dirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdA9Z5CnBdA

So my insurance company does not cancel my policy because I run a nubie on the back tire it is that I'm running a legal tire for the street. The sport riders can't understand a CT because they lay the bike over well you have to ask would they run this tire if it fit? It would be the same reasons that they give for a CT. Not every tire is right for every bike or rider so I know that the sport bike riders would never use a CT. It is funny that the people that run a MC tire have issue with someone running a CT like it is a religion or politics. What is right for one does not make it right for others or we would all have to eat health food and not drink because it is just as bad as running a CT.

Have a fun ride on whatever you ride and it is your life and bike.

If a tree falls on you in the forest and there is no one to hear you scream did you really scream?

Boat Drinks

#28 ·