Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Backrests

11K views 48 replies 8 participants last post by  nannybear 
#1 ·
OK I'm looking for a backrest with a luggage rack (wish I decided this before buying a luggage rack 2 months ago).

I'm either getting the Givi one.

https://media.givi.it/XN-Prodotti/istruzioni/TS4115B.pdf

Anyone know if this works with the Kawasaki Panniers fitted?

Also Kawasaki do a fixed version now and its a lot cheaper. Pricewise its about a £50 difference. Anyone see these yet and have a preference.

#2 ·
Hi.
i bought from here:
Sissybar Driver Kawasaki Vulcan S - Kawasaki

As you can see there are several options. I guess they are cheaper than Givi (?). Assuming you are based in North America (I live in France) the freight charges might be prohibitive.
Mine is a smaller backrest without a luggage rack. Fitting is straightforward, just requiring the removal of the curved plastic side covers. I cannot say whether they would fit with the Kawasaki panniers but it does just fit over the plate.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Mike

#5 ·
Hi Zordon,

So that backrest works for the driver seat or the pillion seat?

Same bracket?

Do you mind posting a close up photo of how the rack fits on the side of the fender?

This rack might work for my application.

The photo shows how I have my top case mounted on the stock fender rack, but I want to install the pillion seat and move the top case back.

Thanks!

Chris

Attachments

#6 ·
Pillion only Chris it's the only one Givi do for the Vulcan s. If you still need pics let me know. I was going to do some today but got carried away on the ride. Good thing is my misses who said she would never get on the back of the bike now enjoys it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Hi zordon,

More riding is always a good thing! :)

And glad the misses is enjoying riding with you. Very cool! I am very lucky...my girlfriend likes to ride and has her own bike. :)

If you can send photos that would be great. And could you send measurements for the rack behind the backrest? I want to see if it is big enough to secure the Givi universal mounting plate that I have.

Also it looks like the rack can be mounted without the backrest? Looks like it from photo on the Givi web site.

Thanks!

Chris

#14 ·
Hey zordon,

Would you mind sending me a couple of measurements?

1. The dimensions of the rack. So I can tell how big a surface there is to mount to.

2. The height of the bottom of the rack above the highest point of the fender. So I can tell if my top case would clear the side cases with everything mounted at once.

Thanks!

Chris

#13 ·
Zordon,

The washers make sense and I did find the Givi instructions. I would prefer a flat rack that I can securely attach the Givi top case mounting plate to.

I am trying to create a "mini bagger". ;-) I have Givi side cases, a pillion seat and a top case that right now sits on the fender rack.

I want to install a rack off the back of the bike to shift the top case back, have clearance for the side cases and be able to install the pillion.

I like the idea of the backrest but if my girlfriend rides pillion she wants to know she could easily jump off the back if we had an accident and the bike went over.

So being able to use the rack without backrest would be a plus. I would also remove the top case in such a case.

With the Givi cases on I would have a mini bagger and could ride 2 up. But I could remove all the bags if I wanted to have my bare bones bike back. :)

I hope you don't mind if I have more questions. :)

And thank you for the photos and links!

Chris

#15 ·
Mine arrived yesterday and fixed the rear rack, yet to fix the GIVI V47NNT.

Noticed in the instructions, it says Max weight 5 Kgs/12 lbs. There was no such description in the product. This should work for me since I need the storage of V47 just to keep my helmet and Jacket, otherwise a small backpack with laptop while moving. I will update after riding a bit with everything.

Zordon, that was a good find looks more stable. Chris, Keep us updated how it goes as I know you will be mounting V47NNT as well.

Attachments

#22 ·
Chris / VulcanSpilot,

i like your setup. I bought mine from the original owner with reduced reach because she was a shorter rider. i am 7 inches taller and have longer arms so having the givi behind me could work if there is a backrest or cushion that can be attached on the givi. Is there one you know of or a bracket ready to receive one?

#28 ·
Hi 2015vulcannewb,

Here is the case I have:

Monokey Cases : 47 LITER TOP CASE W/ CF ACCENT

Most Givi cases have a backrest as an option. I bought this one just haven't installed it yet, but where the case is mounted is perfect for the depth of this backrest. It won't get in my way if I don't want the backrest but if I lean back just a tad it will be there for support. Keep in mind I have the extended reach setup.

Back Rest Pads : V47 BACKREST PAD - SOFT

Also, Givi stuff is fairly expensive. I found a web site in Italy with great prices even including shipping costs and a guy in South Dakota that sells Givi via Amazon. Let me know if you want their contact info. CycleGear, Throttled, Revzilla and those web sites, etc. discount I think about 10% off list price, but these other guys are much better.

Chris

#29 ·
Hey MARINE,

I have the Givi E251 universal mounting plate.

Top Case Plates : E251 ADAPTER PLATE UNIVERSAL

I actually bought it from a web site in Italy. They had it in stock and with shipping it was cheaper than any US web site I could find.

EM LINEAMOTO | Givi - E251

I have been dealing with Mauro. Please mention my name (you can private message me for last name) if you order from him.

Their price is US $37.53. Givi USA list is $74 and Revzilla.com $66.

Chris

#34 · (Edited)
Marine,

Sounds Cool! Please post pictures when you have it all set up.

I can fit my modular helmet and jacket in the V47. But the jacket only has a foam pad in the back and not proper armor.

I tried a Givi 46L Trekker on my bike as a top case and it looked ridiculous. I attached a pic. Well maybe not that bad...but this case is too squared off.

I think your top case, even if a little big, will look pretty good because it's shaped.

Chris

Attachments

#35 ·
You Bet. I will this weekend. I have to travel to Los Angeles. So I get this email from Accessories International saying my SOLO is backordered!! I called and said I spoke to you Saturday and you told be drop shipped from Virginia. I was bummed thinking I have to wait a month for a special order. He calls me back and says I found one in stock. I had it for a year and my son found it in the warehouse. I drove the hell over and picked it up!!!! Oh I based my call by looking at your bike :) I would thank Zandar but she lost the pics lol

#36 ·
MARINE,

You know what is really funny? The Trekker 46 liter (in the last photo I posted) looks humongous, but it would not fit my helmet. The 47N that I got instead looks much better on the bike, looks smaller than the Trekker, and fits my helmet. And it is actually 1 liter more capacity.

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.