Comparison Vulcan S vs Yamaha VX950 Bolt R-Spec - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Comparison Vulcan S vs Yamaha VX950 Bolt R-Spec

Hello there:

As explained in my introductory post, I am in the process of obtaining my motorcycle driving license. This means, I have not purchase my bike yet. However, I made my mind about the Vulcan S after test riding a friend's of mine (I have ridden Kawasakis for many ears when I was younger) I fell in love with right away. Up to know I have been doing research on the bike and all the different accessories, to the extend that I exactly know what I want and when to get it.

However, couple of days ago, the devil crossed my way by making me discover the Yamaha Bolt R-Spec which it is truly beautiful and it competes directly with the Vulcan S. The Bolt, right out of the bat is more expensive which a quite important show stopper for me. However, I would like to get your opinion on how the Vulcan S beats the Bolt. Do you know any review video comparing such bikes?

I leave a couple of pictures for anyone who hasn't seen the Bolt before. Thanks for everything and I am waiting to hear your responses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1635_1493493825063.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	189353   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1636_1493493840323.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	189361  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 02:37 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015/Kawasaki/Vulcan S
Displacement/CC's: 649
Color: Flat Ebony aka black
Garage
One key difference for my was Liquid vs Air Cooled, it can hit close to 40C around here in the summer and I did not like the idea of needing air to cool if I am stuck in traffic
revrider, Cobue and Mousedroid like this.

GR
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 02:39 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Yamaha makes some nice machines,see the bolt is air cooled?would have to review it to know more

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 03:23 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Vulcan S Cafe
Displacement/CC's: 650
Color: Grey/Silver/Green
When I was researching I know I saw at least a few video and text reviews comparing the two to each other as well as a few other similar bikes. I don't have any links saved, but a quick google search should help you find them.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiezedder View Post
One key difference for my was Liquid vs Air Cooled, it can hit close to 40C around here in the summer and I did not like the idea of needing air to cool if I am stuck in traffic
Very good point. I leave in Madrid and during the summer, it gets out there and the traffic is also quite hefty.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 04:17 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Vulcan S ABS SE
Color: Imperial Blue / Spark Black
I briefly looked at the Bolt online, as I also liked its looks (though not as much as the Vulcan S). However, I also saw a video of someone complaining about the speedometer display, as it was against a black background and not backlit like the Vulcan's is, and this made it almost impossible to view at times in direct sunlight. That was enough for me to discount it entirely.

Found this... you should definitely investigate it before making a decision: new 2015 BOLT Speedometer
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 09:01 PM
Premium Member
BOTM Winner
June 2016

The Vulcan S caught me at just the right time and in the right mood for buying. However, I had seen the Bolt R on the showroom floor a few bikes down but it was some odd color that didn't impress me (and the Vulcan S was a satin black, which I loved immediately). Also, the Bolt seemed a little more upright and chopped off at the nose and I liked the streamlined look of the Vulcan S a little more in front. I would have liked the bigger engine of the Bolt just for exhaust sound purposes, but the Vulcan S is plenty loud if you do it right.

VulcanS vs BoltR
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 08:08 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S
Color: Candy Lime Green
Garage
Saw both, I was immediately drawn to the Vulcan S, It seemed more streamlined, and broke the mold of your typical cruiser imo. Secondly, i wanted something for daily commuting in the city, so it had to be nimble and enjoyable and able to deal with the issues that come with city navigating, also it had be able to hit the highway when i decided to sneak away or just flush the brain from a long week of work. The air cooling and 5 speed gear box just didn't seem to meet my needs, I'm now a year in with the Vulcan and i still see Bolts at the dealer when i stop in and i'm still convinced i made the right choice.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 09:38 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Vulcan S
Color: Ebony
Garage
I think this comparison was one that led me to the Vulcan S: CRUISER COMPARISON: We Test 6 Small-Displacement Cruisers | MOTORCYCLIST

It came down to price, fit, and weight.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 06:29 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015/Kawasaki/Vulcan S
Garage
I looked at the Bolt. Looks really good on paper, and I really like the looks of it, but when I actually sat on one I found that, as a tall guy, it wasn't very comfortable for me. The air box really sticks out on the right side and my knee ended up against it in a way that would have drove me nuts. I also felt kind of scrunched up on it.

I was pretty bummed because I REALLY like the looks of it.

You can read a lot of stuff, but it all comes down to how it actually fits you when you throw a leg over it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode